What the hell are these?

edited June 2017 in Software
I get so tired of people just uploading stuff with no description at all. Sure, sometimes it is obvious, and often I will want to look it up anyway. But I don't always magically know what everything is.

So what the hell are these?
[DIRECTX.SDK].V5.0.exe
DirectX1_GDC2005_Beta.zip
DirectX2.zip
DirectX3.zip
dx61sdkimage.exe
dx7adxf.exe
dx7sdk-7001.exe
DX81b_SDK.exe
dx81sdk_full.exe
DX8a_SDK.exe
DX8SDK.EXE
dx90bsdk.exe
dx9sdk.exe
dxsdk_apr2005.exe
dxsdk_apr2006.exe
dxsdk_apr2007.exe
DXSDK_Aug08.exe
DXSDK_Aug09.exe
dxsdk_aug2005.exe
dxsdk_aug2006.exe
dxsdk_aug2007.exe
dxsdk_dec2004.exe
dxsdk_dec2005.exe
dxsdk_dec2006.exe
DXSDK_Feb10.exe
dxsdk_feb2005.exe
dxsdk_feb2006.exe
dxsdk_feb2007.exe
DXSDK_Jun08.exe
DXSDK_Jun10.exe
dxsdk_jun2005.exe
dxsdk_jun2006.exe
dxsdk_jun2007.exe
DXSDK_Mar09.exe
dxsdk_march2008.exe
DXSDK_Nov08.exe
dxsdk_november2007.exe
dxsdk_oct2004.exe
dxsdk_oct2005.exe
dxsdk_oct2006.exe
dxsdk_sum2004.exe
Ok, something DirectX software development kit related... but why are they in self extracting EXEs? Why no CD ISO dumps? Weren't these either freely redistributable or part of some other product (I don't know, never did any DirectX programming). Why are these historically important? Why should these be on Winworld? What benefit would these serve the community? Why should I care about these?

You can't just poop in the upload folder and expect me to post it. And people wonder why Idiotville has such strict upload guidelines.

Well, at least it was not another copy of Windows XP :P

Oh, and with a user name of "a2438320" signed up with a disposable e-mail services, I'm just assuming these will blow up in my face.

Comments

• IIRC all public (at least non-MSDN) releases of the DirectX SDKs were in self-extracting form. I could be wrong on this but I think older ones are sometimes removed from public distribution.

As for WW's interest? If it can still be obtained from Microsoft, I don't see why to keep these.
  • These are various versions of DirectX SDK. Please don't delete them. They contain the history of DirectX, and can be very useful when developing games for older versions of Windows, and some are notoriously hard to find on the net.