[SUGGESTION] Adding a 'Latest Additions' section to the home

edited July 2017 in Site Issues
Hello :)

I have a suggestion for the WinWorld homepage: Add a 'Latest Additions' section that has a list of the latest 10 or so new additions to the Library so that new uploads can be easily accessed.

Also another idea would be to add a separate 'Software Spotlight' link to the top navigation of the homepage that would link directly to a list of all SomeGuy's software spotlights.

My ideas are detailed in this EXAMPLE concept screenshot. If you want me to edit it, please reply.

4ecP2DA.png

EDIT: Added image properly and put emphasis on 'EXAMPLE'.

Comments

• Great idea.
    When I visit Vetusware.com, I always go to the "RECENTLY ADDED" tab first.
  • I had been thinking of making a similar suggestion. I love finding random little programs to try out, but looking at the library feels a bit daunting to me.
  • There really should be this, because I keep losing track of what's actually new in the collection. Would save me a lot of time having to rifle through the library for anything that I think is a new addition. I'm all for it :)
  • That would be a pretty good idea! It would actually be pretty useful to see what is new here.
  • Since I am thinking about it, a similar feature that some might find useful would be a list of recently edited product/release descriptions.

I'm not against a latest additions page, but sometimes I want to be able to post something without drawing attention to it.

I've been leaving any kind of automated system up to stitch, and doing a manual list posted on the forum would be a bit of work.

One problem with an automated system is there is currently no sortable "date added" field recorded with the download entries.
  • This sounds like a wonderful idea. This way every one could see what is new with this site. Although the number of files seems like a good indicator, it would be nice to see what new contributions there is to this site.
  • SomeGuy wrote:
    One problem with an automated system is there is currently no sortable "date added" field recorded with the download entries.

There are now. Obviously they will not be useful for anything added since (unless any manual reconciliation is made), but going forward that will be sortable.

I was previously working on a join based query to generate similar stats. It was not working as great as I thought it would and has since been shelved.

There is also a "NoShowOnHome" boolean column in the table now. This defaults to false, so anything you wouldn't want to call out attention to would require this be updated. Which would require adding in some UI bits. I'll see what I can maybe do.
  • Maybe for the older ones you could use the Date Modified values on the mirrors? Don't know if this is a good idea but wanted to put it out there.
  • Erito17 wrote:
    Maybe for the older ones you could use the Date Modified values on the mirrors? Don't know if this is a good idea but wanted to put it out there.

It is very inefficient to use any data from mirrors. The site backend uses SSH to communicate with mirrors and that is only ever initiated from areas which are for admins only. Doing this query on a public page would be a security risk as well as a source of high lag.

Plus, there's no guarantee that those date values are actually accurate.
  • stitch wrote:
    Erito17 wrote:
    Maybe for the older ones you could use the Date Modified values on the mirrors? Don't know if this is a good idea but wanted to put it out there.

It is very inefficient to use any data from mirrors. The site backend uses SSH to communicate with mirrors and that is only ever initiated from areas which are for admins only. Doing this query on a public page would be a security risk as well as a source of high lag.

Plus, there's no guarantee that those date values are actually accurate.
    I may be stepping out of line here, if so let me know, but couldn't we just have dated material after a certain time (say 10/1/2017) and say a week later, start having a new additions box in the homepage then?
    Since i can only code in scratch and TI-BASIC (TI-99/4a version), please let me know of the (possible) issues of my statement. Thanks!
    -CorrectHorseBatteryStaple
  • The best option would probably just be to show the last X additions, like Vetusware. Although I think the links would need both the product and download so people could see the context.