MS-DOS CD Driver Issue.

edited May 2017 in Software
I know long time no post, but I took my 486 to a repair shop, and they fixed it. Turns out my comapct flash card died, they gave me a new one, and they also installed a real 2GB hard drive.

It all works.

I recently formatted the drive, told the BIOS to ignore the flash card, and it's all fine.

I went to install the oakcdrom drivers, and now it keeps telling me

"Device driver not found: 'MSCD001'
No Valid CDROM device drivers selected "

Which is funny, because the oakcdrom.sys file is in C:\DOS

and autoexec.bat and config.sys seem to be edited properly.

I'm at a loss here.

P.S: I just noticed it also says:

"Device Name :MSCD001
No drives found, aborting istallation "

I guess, check if the IDE cable is in properly? As the power definitely is as it opens and closes.

Comments

• edited May 2017
    Has it worked with OAK before? If you are unsure, there is a distinct possibility of incompatibility. If OAK has worked in the past, you may have a backwards or bad IDE cable, incorrect jumper settings or a dead CD drive.
  • Proper configuration of the CD requires the following statements to identify MSCD001

Config.sys
    Device={path]oakcdrom.sys /X:MSCD001

Autoexec.bat
    [path]mscdex.exe /X:MSCD001

where X: is your CDROM drive letter
  • @altracker9
    I get the same error when trying to load OAK on a system without a CD drive, so I don't think it's an error with the startup files. A hardware issue is more likely.

Just in case, make sure these lines are in place:

CONFIG.SYS
    DEVICE=C:\DOS\OAKCDROM.SYS/D:MSCD001

AUTOEXEC.BAT
    C:\DOS\MSCDEX.EXE/D:MSCD001
  • Do you have an optical drive at all and if yes, is it connected properly? Also, check your BIOS setup. It may provide some insight about the ATA/ATAPI devices present and recognized by the system.
  • I looked in the box, the IDE cable was not connected to the optical drive.

I disconnected and removed the flash card, but now it doesn't want to recognise the real IDE hard drive, even after I set it to auto detect drives, and pulled all the jumpers out of the IDE hard drive, which I think sets it to master.
  • pulled all the jumpers out of the IDE hard drive, which I think sets it to master.
    Not necessarily. I have a hard disk or two that need jumpers even without a slave attached. If the jumper diagram isn't printed on the drive itself, Google for it.
  • e-mailed the repair shop, got some tips from them, tried them, did not work.

Going back to the repair shop, Tuesday.