Forum rules

Neither WinWorld or it's users have secret caches of software. If we have it, we have more than likely made it available for download. For software we do not possess, it may take months or years before we can locate it. WinWorld is also an abandonware site and we reserve the right to remove your topic from the public eye, and ban you, if you post a request beyond the scope of our site.

Be sure to read the forum topic on how to make a request the right way before making a request! This topic includes examples on what not to do. If you have not yet, reading this topic is *NOT* optional.

Requests that sound like demands, ultimatums or requests for software just because it exists on other sites will be locked and ignored by the staff. Do not pester people offering software for an immediate download or for us to expedite our upload queue to get new software.

Note that registered users can submit software automatically via the form on the Library page.

Please tag requests as [REQUEST] and offers as [OFFER] to help us categorize posts.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:10 pm | Post subject: Torrents?

Ok, I'm sure this isn't the best place to post it, as it's like a "suggestion" rather than "offer" or "request". But on to my point, have you ever considered offering torrents for abandonware? I think it would be a good idea, as it would help lower bandwith requirements for hosting, and could also help some people download faster. Not sure if this has been suggested before, I couldn't seem to find anything on the topic. I apologise if for any reason I shouldn't post this for example if it has been suggested before or if you just do not want to offer torrents.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:35 pm | Post subject: Re: Torrents?

In my opinion as long as the torrents are shared privately via PMs/email that should be fine as long as it meets abandonware requirements? There aren't many cases where I can see having a torrent would be beneficial in this site unless you were meaning to share privately with 1-2 people for whatever reason or for just a short period of time and not intended to be hosted on a mirror?

I knoooow Jake I forgot about that mainly because lately people's seeding speed for me has been pretty lame. I had one file @ 0.4/kb today. Woop.

Last edited by 199x on Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:38 pm | Post subject: Re: Torrents?

199x wrote:
In my opinion as long as the torrents are shared privately via PMs/email that should be fine as long as it meets abandonware requirements? There aren't many cases where I can see having a torrent would be beneficial in this site unless you were meaning to share privately with 1-2 people for whatever reason or for just a short period of time and not intended to be hosted on a mirror?

The benefits of having torrents are a lot of users would be able to geet the downloads faster and if for any reason this site for example does not have enough funding to continue running at any point in the future, torrents could be used to keep the software available.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:51 pm | Post subject: Re: Torrents?

Library Director

Torrents are useless for small files of low interest. 5 minutes after the 4 interested people download it, it will disappear.

A torrent of a large bundle of small files is only useful for large "dead" archives, and only if sufficient people are interested in acquiring the entire freaking thing.

Plus, normal HTTP downloads should be 10000 times faster than a torrent because your ISP won't throttle it.

If you "offer" something up on the forum, it is better to use a file hosting service.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:05 pm | Post subject: Re: Torrents?

SomeGuy wrote:
Torrents are useless for small files of low interest. 5 minutes after the 4 interested people download it, it will disappear.

A torrent of a large bundle of small files is only useful for large "dead" archives, and only if sufficient people are interested in acquiring the entire freaking thing.

Plus, normal HTTP downloads should be 10000 times faster than a torrent because your ISP won't throttle it.
If you "offer" something up on the forum, it is better to use a file hosting service.

Ok, I agree, but maybe at least have torrents for the most popular and most downloaded files you have. Torrents can be a lot faster with enough seeders, and can make downloads on slower connections a bit faster.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:31 pm | Post subject: Re: Torrents?

Developer/CTO

I have pondered over the usage of BitTorrent on numerous occasions. I'll just state the following:

* Every download has a representation in our database which we can easily use to mass-create .torrent files.
* Most, if not all of the mirrors, could serve as seeds through cooperation with their respective owners and after evaluation of a good torrent client. There are numerous torrent clients on *nix that have substantial issues (looking at you, rTorrent).
* With respect to how this site operates and how the vast majority of our users are, they would download through the torrent and not seed after they have the full file. For anyone making the rationale that torrents will help the server costs, you're dead wrong on this, as the current set of mirrors would be handling the bulk of the data.

I'm not saying that this is specifically a bad idea, it just doesn't seem like the effort I would need to code in torrent support into the current WW codebase does not outweigh the benefit that could happen. The current HTTP system should be more than sufficient for the time being.

R-Type #winboards wrote:
[22:57:37] <Shawn|4650M> I voted for him
[22:57:48] <Shawn|4650M> without much research

Please remember that your political opinions are unwelcome on WinBoards and the WinBoards GoldenSwamp(TM) (a.k.a the Administration) is free to do "what they want" just liek zomg #MAGA #whitehouse.gov @realDonaldTrump

Search for: