Can you run Windows CE 1.0 in Vmware?

edited February 2017 in Software
Hi! I don't have the ISO, but can it be possible to run this? That would be cool, because you can already run CE 5.0, and later on a emulator, but not in Vmware. Do you think it can work?

Comments

• If you could find a version compiled for x86 that could be possible but it would have to have specific drivers. iirc HPCFactor provides Virtual PC images for some versions.
  • You can't do this, to my knowledge. VMWare uses virtualization, so it uses the host's CPU, which is either x86 or x86_64. Because of this, VMWare can't run Windows CE because Windows CE requires an ARM processor. There might be an x86 port, which I've stumbled across x86 ports for Windows CE 6.5, but otherwise, you're out of luck. You might be able to try QEMU, which uses emulation, but Windows CE might need something in the firmware or bios to tell it to boot.
  • CE 1.0 had no support for x86, and very little support for other architectures.
    CE 2.0 corrected much of 1.0's flaws, including this. However, the question is directed to CE 1.0, so no you can't.

If you have the nerve, you could hunt down an mips image and possibly throw it down into qemu, but good luck there.