Games for Windows 98

edited October 2016 in Software
What are some good games that run properly on Windows 98 that I could play to test the system I have? It has a Pentium 2 400MHz, 256MB RAM and a 6GB hard drive. The video card is a Nvidia Tnt2 Model 64 (32MB) Thanks!

Comments

• Return to Castle Wolfenstein
    Colin McRae rally (the first one)
    Recoil - tank game from Zipper Games
    First GTA game maybe
  • Try eGames miniverse. I used to play this when I was 3 years old and I recently started playing it again (VirtualBox is required since it won't run on Windows 7). On on page (http://www.theisozone.com/downloads/pc/ ... miniverse/), there is a download link for a rar with the contents of the original game CD. Close all of the add tabs that pop up (not to many, don't worry.), wait until you get redirected to the appropriate filedrop page and click the button to download MINIGOLF.rar. Extract the folder MINIGOLF from that rar and open it. Take the folder contents and burn them to a CD. This is the BEST golf game ever. Hope this helps. :)
  • Most 2D stuff up to 2002-ish, I think. 3D games up to 2000, because Pentium 2 was slowly being abandoned by gaming companies afterwards.

As for concrete examples, you could help a bit by saying which genres you enjoy :)

If it's a simple benchmark you seek, you can do it with Unreal Tournament 99 and No One Lives Forever 1, for example. If you don't have either, the demos can do: get the UT demo here and the NOLF1 demo here.
  • Most 2D stuff up to 2002-ish, I think. 3D games up to 2000, because Pentium 2 was slowly being abandoned by gaming companies afterwards.

As for concrete examples, you could help a bit by saying which genres you enjoy :)

If it's a simple benchmark you seek, you can do it with Unreal Tournament 99 and No One Lives Forever 1, for example. If you don't have either, the demos can do: get the UT demo here and the NOLF1 demo here.
    I don't mind any genre. I was just looking for suggestions from the community about what would run on a system of mine. Thanks
  • If racing games are your idea of a good game, Then Monster Truck Madness 1 and 2 and Need For Speed 1-3 should be good ones to look into, I've played MTM2 and NFS:High Stakes and they're pretty good for their time, I know MTM2 should run fine on your machine since I've played it on a system with lower specs than your setup.

If you want simple game packs, You could look into the MS Entertainment Pack series since those contain some interesting games.
  • Someone needs to (re)install Deus Ex.

mods: Move to game subforum?
  • Try Lego Island.
  • Thanks for all the ideas. I will try them out. Maybe now I can finally get the use out of this system than I have been. Thanks everyone!
  • How about
    Thief: the Dark Project
    Thief 2: the Metal Age
    Jazz Jackrabbit 2
    MechWarrior 3
    and of course Diablo :}

I played all these games under Windows 98 on an AMD K6-2 @350 MHz, with 64 MB RAM and a 3D Blaster Banshee (16MB) graphics card back then.
    Well, it was a bit low for Thief 2 since some missions have quite large maps, but your setup seems to be better than my old one, so I guess you'll be fine :p

Note: about the Thief games, they will not work if you install the latest patches since the "NewDark" engine requires at least Windows 2000 (or maybe even XP). But the original versions did work on 98.
  • I would like to suggest Command & Conquer: Red Alert 2. This was a game I had back in 2002 on my first computer, and had been a favourite for a while. Another I can mention is Impossible Creatures which is another real-time strategy and I had a lot of fun with that one, more so for the Multiplayer mode. For that game, it once had downloadables hosted on Microsoft's site but they're long gone, unless you find them elsewhere with some luck.

Other than that, enjoy whatever games catches your attention from what's been offered so far :)