QuickBooks POS 10.0 on Windows 10 Pro

edited September 2016 in Software
My dad's office PC has been running the same installation of Windows 7 Pro now for so long that practically nothing works on it. I offered to reset it, and he agreed. Since I had a Windows 10 disc, I thought I'd be nice and give him the latest version of Windows, since this is the only computer he owns. Everything was working fine after I installed it, the graphics driver worked, the receipt printer driver worked, his internet connection was running fine, but then I installed Intuit QuickBooks 10.0 on it (from the same file it had been installed from previously), and I hit a roadblock. The program offered to install updates, but since my dad only uses QuickBooks to keep financial records, I declined. Then the splash screen came up, followed shortly by this error pop-up. I exited it, since previously QuickBooks had always given random error messages and still worked just fine. But then it hung on the splash screen, and the program itself never opened. My dad needs this program to work, does anyone know what I can do about this?

Comments

• The obvious place to start is run it in compatibility mode. If that doesn't work, try uninstalling and then reinstalling with the installer in compatibility mode.
  • does anyone know what I can do about this?

Reinstall Windows 7 Pro.
  • Icon wrote:
    Reinstall Windows 7 Pro.

Fantastic advice.

But seriously though, if your dad has been running the same install forever to the point nothing works, maybe you should reinstall your system, it doesn't matter if it's 10 or 7, it's really your choice. But clearly there are serious compatibility and performance problems that really should just go away. You can't have a professional environment look like this.
  • And yeah, this is exactly the kind of shit you really shouldn't touch if its working without a plan and testing environment.
  • garirry wrote:
    Icon wrote:
    Reinstall Windows 7 Pro.

Fantastic advice.

But seriously though, if your dad has been running the same install forever to the point nothing works, maybe you should reinstall your system, it doesn't matter if it's 10 or 7, it's really your choice. But clearly there are serious compatibility and performance problems that really should just go away. You can't have a professional environment look like this.
    *Sniffle* But it looks so pretty!

Yeah, I guess you're right, it's time to just reinstall Win7. I was hoping there was an easy way to fix this, and I tried reinstalling the app. This time, while it didn't give me the garbled mess it had before, it gave me an equally puzzling error. "Exception has been thrown by the product of an invocation." I'm pretty sure the software has become sentient and is intentionally making up confusing statements to throw at me, because that sounds like anything but a computer error.

I guess QuickBooks doesn't like change.

• I guess QuickBooks doesn't like change.

It's not a QuickBooks problem, it's an Operating System issue.
    garirry wrote:
    Icon wrote:
    Reinstall Windows 7 Pro.

Fantastic advice.

Hey, I think Occam's Razor is appropriate in this situation. Why bother beating your head against the wall trying to get it to work on a new OS, when you can just reinstall the old OS and software and solve the problem entirely?
  • I'd imagine QuickBooks is honestly pretty shitty software that's incredibly fragile and can't cope with any change. If anything, I'd virtualize it or isolate it to a terminal server, but hey...
  • You would probably crap yourself if you knew what a fragile mess many of these "modern" applications are underneath the hood. It is quite naive to think that throwing a completely new OS at an application won't possibly break something.

Historically, Microsoft has been pretty good about maintaining API compatiblity, but I think we are at the end of those days.

For any non-trivial application, it is essential to research which versions are officially supported under which OSes, and if any patches are available etc.
  • ampharos wrote:
    I'd imagine QuickBooks is honestly pretty shitty software that's incredibly fragile and can't cope with any change.

You can't blame the software. Think for a moment what that would have to entail for a program to be compatible with future operating systems: Either the software would have to have some form of artificial intelligence to self-modify its code to be compatible with the next upgrade, or the programmers at Intuit would have to be psychic to know what modifications Microsoft programmers will do to their OS code.

In other words, you can't fully anticipate what will and will not break your software if you don't know what kind of changes are going to be made to the operating system.
  • Yes, but it's possible to follow best practices. Microsoft has been saying for years not to require Admin accounts, and they had to force the change in Vista for devs to get it through their heads.
  • A good chunk of the time incompatibilities like that are caused by someone not using an API to spec, using an API when it is not appropriate, using undocumented stuff, using APIs that won't always be there (calling third party bundled DLLs), or making hard coded bone-headed assumptions.

A way while back I had to clean up an application that a security program had started blocking. Turned out it was calling some webby DLL just to rename a file (and just for that), rather than using the built-in functionality. That's what happens when you give a proper desktop application to a web designer.