IBM thinkpad 380XD processor upgradability

edited September 2016 in Hardware
I have an old ibm thinkpad 380xd which uses mmc-1 card, Can i upgrade this laptop from the original pentium mmx processor to the 400 mhz pentium II card. Is this possible on this model? Will this model support any mmc-1 card? I have been looking online for this and I nothing, there is a website that says this uses a mmc-1 processor card, and it says it might be able to upgrade to any mmc-1 processor, I just want to be sure before i upgrade the processor

Comments

• A quick Google search brought up this, maybe that's what you saw:
    http://brightstar.no-ip.org/tp380.html

I have quite a few 380s of various models, though hadn't pulled apart a 380XD as yet. None of the 380XDs I have though have a PII in them.

I found this blog in Japanese. From what I could understand the PII MMC card is physically compatible, though the success rate is low. A BIOS update might help, but I'm not 100% confident.
    http://machaki-x.cocolog-nifty.com/blog ... index.html
  • A quick Google search brought up this, maybe that's what you saw:
    http://brightstar.no-ip.org/tp380.html

I have quite a few 380s of various models, though hadn't pulled apart a 380XD as yet. None of the 380XDs I have though have a PII in them.

I found this blog in Japanese. From what I could understand the PII MMC card is physically compatible, though the success rate is low. A BIOS update might help, but I'm not 100% confident.
    http://machaki-x.cocolog-nifty.com/blog ... index.html

It was option to get a pentium II in this laptop, the pentium II's came in the same speed option as the pentium mmx version, I have found that likely you can do it , upgrade it to any mmc-1 card and the motherboard should recognize it. If the mother board can recognize a 266 mhz pentium II, should be able to recognize the 400 mhz version, because everything is the same, the FSB speed, except for the cache ram. the higher frequency pentium II, have less cache

• It was option to get a pentium II in this laptop, the pentium II's came in the same speed option as the pentium mmx version, I have found that likely you can do it , upgrade it to any mmc-1 card and the motherboard should recognize it. If the mother board can recognize a 266 mhz pentium II, should be able to recognize the 400 mhz version, because everything is the same, the FSB speed, except for the cache ram. the higher frequency pentium II, have less cache

400MHz version used the MMC-2 socket, which will definitely not work in this laptop.
  • Icon wrote:

It was option to get a pentium II in this laptop, the pentium II's came in the same speed option as the pentium mmx version, I have found that likely you can do it , upgrade it to any mmc-1 card and the motherboard should recognize it. If the mother board can recognize a 266 mhz pentium II, should be able to recognize the 400 mhz version, because everything is the same, the FSB speed, except for the cache ram. the higher frequency pentium II, have less cache

400MHz version used the MMC-2 socket, which will definitely not work in this laptop.

No there was a mmc-1 400 mhz as well, but its very very rare, and i found one
  • Icon wrote:

No there was a mmc-1 400 mhz as well, but its very very rare, and i found one

This laptop was available with the pentium mmx or the pentium II, the processor speeds for the mmx was 233 mhz or 266 mhz, them same speeds where available for the pentium II. The 400 mhz card should work for this laptop since every thing is on the card, including the northbridge, and the fsb bus, and most of the other circuitry for the processor to run.