Windows 2000 on a Pentium II

edited October 2016 in Software
Does anyone know how to get Windows 2000 installed on a Pentium II? It is a 400 MHz model. Every time I try, it gives a few errors during setup saying something about missing files. The only OS I've ever been able to get installed is Windows 98 SE and earlier. It has 256 MB RAM. Thanks!

Comments

• it may be just some drivers are malfunctioning or you need a new hard disk
    here are the minimum requirements for win 200

Minimum Requirements
    Computer/Processor 133 MHz or higher Pentium-compatible CPU
    Memory 64 megabytes (MB) of RAM recommended minimum; more memory generally improves responsiveness
    Hard Disk 2GB hard disk with a minimum of 650MB of free space
    CPU Support Windows 2000 Professional supports single and dual CPU systems
  • Maybe your copy is corrupted.
  • dosbox wrote:
    Maybe your copy is corrupted.
    I downloaded it multiple times from here. The disc works fine on other computers, and it is definitely not the hard drive (it is a Maxtor but it works wonderfully). Thanks for the replies!
  • If the CD works fine on other computers, I would suspect the CD-ROM drive is at fault, and may need to be cleaned, or could be dying. Windows 2000 should have no issues with a Pentium II. I've installed it before on my Thinkpad 600E with the same CPU specs without a hitch.
  • Icon wrote:
    If the CD works fine on other computers, I would suspect the CD-ROM drive is at fault, and may need to be cleaned, or could be dying. Windows 2000 should have no issues with a Pentium II. I've installed it before on my Thinkpad 600E with the same CPU specs without a hitch.
    This is actually a DVD-RW drive manufactured in 2007 for an IDE enclosure (not meant to be taken out) and works fine in any other computer. It will play DVD's on Windows 98 with this computer. I have also tried a few older drives to no avail. But thanks for the suggestion.
  • Where precisely does it report missing files, and what files is it complaining about?
  • edited September 2016
    Well, it wouldn't be so helpful to solve the problem so much unless you attach screenshot or movie.
  • What would be most helpful is if you could elaborate on the system specs as well (besides CPU and RAM).

Also, how do you know your hard drive is fine? Have you performed a thorough surface scan? What exactly does / do the error(s) say? Does it happen during the install process? Does it happen AFTER the install? If the disc and drive work fine on other machines, then I'm almost certain their is a problem with your hard drive. Windows 98 may install without problems, but it may also not be writing to an area of the drive that is faulty / faulting.
  • We need a log, or can't help. most likely the hard drive is failing.
  • Kurtisdede wrote:
    We need a log, or can't help. most likely the hard drive is failing.
    I know this drive isn't bad at all. I've never had any issue with it. I don't have any pictures, but in a few days I'll possibly have time to do another attempt at Windows 2000.
  • Icon wrote:
    What would be most helpful is if you could elaborate on the system specs as well (besides CPU and RAM).

Also, how do you know your hard drive is fine? Have you performed a thorough surface scan? What exactly does / do the error(s) say? Does it happen during the install process? Does it happen AFTER the install? If the disc and drive work fine on other machines, then I'm almost certain their is a problem with your hard drive. Windows 98 may install without problems, but it may also not be writing to an area of the drive that is faulty / faulting.
    I have used this hard drive in other machines with no problem. The drive is loud, typical of older drives, but hasn't ever given me any specific errors relating to the drive. The errors about copying files appear during setup. I get a dialog box notifying me of the failed file copy and if I would like to search somewhere for it. It has been so long that I can't remember. Once I get time to retry it I'll update you all.
  • Also, the motherboard is a SuperMicro Super P6SBM
  • Are you absolutely certain that the Win2k setup process is finding the hard drive? The last time I had an issue similar to yours is when I installed an ATA-133 controller card in my server. Win2k could not see the drive until I provided drivers during the pre-setup process.
  • Icon wrote:
    Are you absolutely certain that the Win2k setup process is finding the hard drive? The last time I had an issue similar to yours is when I installed an ATA-133 controller card in my server. Win2k could not see the drive until I provided drivers during the pre-setup process.
    The drive is detected, otherwise I wouldn't have gotten into setup. I'll attempt to replicate the error this afternoon.
  • jamie1130 wrote:
    Icon wrote:
    Are you absolutely certain that the Win2k setup process is finding the hard drive? The last time I had an issue similar to yours is when I installed an ATA-133 controller card in my server. Win2k could not see the drive until I provided drivers during the pre-setup process.
    The drive is detected, otherwise I wouldn't have gotten into setup. I'll attempt to replicate the error this afternoon.

Seriously, you should scan the hard drive, even if you are %100 sure it's fine, JUST in case. It is probably the hard drive. Or the CD drive, but you said it'd be working fine.
  • Kurtisdede wrote:
    jamie1130 wrote:
    Icon wrote:

Seriously, you should scan the hard drive, even if you are %100 sure it's fine, JUST in case. It is probably the hard drive. Or the CD drive, but you said it'd be working fine.
    I don't want to have to say it again: the hard drive I am attempting to use is fine. I've used it successfully in many other machines. Please stop claiming it is the hard drive. I have also tried other working drives with this machine to no avail when installing Windows 2000.
  • So, isolate it down

* It's not the hard drive, apparently.

* The storage controller is recognized, apparently.

* The is the disc image verified to work on a VM?

* Is the disc burnt at a slow speed? Is your disc reader working properly? (I find CD drives fail more than HDs... on failure state I had was DVDs working but not CDs)

* What file is it failing on?
  • ampharos wrote:
    So, isolate it down

* Is the disc burnt at a slow speed? Is your disc reader working properly? (I find CD drives fail more than HDs... on failure state I had was DVDs working but not CDs)

The image is from this site and has successfully work on both VM's and other physical machine. The optical drive is new. It isn't the issue. As far as which file, I'll check later today. Thanks
  • jamie1130 wrote:
    ampharos wrote:
    So, isolate it down

The image is from this site and has successfully work on both VM's and other physical machine. The optical drive is new. It isn't the issue. As far as which file, I'll check later today. Thanks

New doesn't mean anything... if anything, new drives are of a worse build quality and more likely to fail. There's also the possibility that you got a dud drive.
  • BlueSun wrote:
    jamie1130 wrote:
    ampharos wrote:
    So, isolate it down

New doesn't mean anything... if anything, new drives are of a worse build quality and more likely to fail. There's also the possibility that you got a dud drive.
    This isn't a dud drive. I have two exactly the same and both function properly. I have burnt many discs on both and read many discs on both and never experienced any problems.
  • I know this topic was last updated a few days ago and this may sound crazy, But have you tried updating the BIOS? I had a similar issue on an old PC with an ASUS P2B-VE Motherboard, When I tried to install Windows 2000 and Whistler builds it would freeze at the hardware detection stage, Once I updated the BIOS, This no longer happened, If nothing else you could try upgrading from 98SE to 2000, I did that when my HP E-Vectra had problems booting from its CD Drive and boot floppies didn't work for 2000.
  • perhaps that's what the OP forgot to check whether the SuperMicro Super P6SBM board has the latest BIOS update (and should have updated the BIOS if the board does not have the latest BIOS update available). Found the site that has an archive list of BIOS updates for old SuperMicro boards.

I did install Win2k on an old Intel Pentium 1 machine almost a decade ago and it went well.

Also, OP needs to burn or create a Win2k CD at 4X speed and using Verbatim brand CD-R or CD-RW discs. Verbatim brand CDs are high quality and should not fail at all.
  • epguy7 wrote:
    perhaps that's what the OP forgot to check whether the SuperMicro Super P6SBM board has the latest BIOS update (and should have updated the BIOS if the board does not have the latest BIOS update available). Found the site that has an archive list of BIOS updates for old SuperMicro boards.

I did install Win2k on an old Intel Pentium 1 machine almost a decade ago and it went well.

Also, OP needs to burn or create a Win2k CD at 4X speed and using Verbatim brand CD-R or CD-RW discs. Verbatim brand CDs are high quality and should not fail at all.
    I originally said I would retry Win2K a few days ago, but life took over. I will soon. The discs I use are fine. They work in every single other machine I own (and I have 35). This isn't the issue. I also verify the discs. Thanks for the reply
  • jamie1130 wrote:
    epguy7 wrote:
    perhaps that's what the OP forgot to check whether the SuperMicro Super P6SBM board has the latest BIOS update (and should have updated the BIOS if the board does not have the latest BIOS update available). Found the site that has an archive list of BIOS updates for old SuperMicro boards.

I originally said I would retry Win2K a few days ago, but life took over. I will soon. The discs I use are fine. They work in every single other machine I own (and I have 35). This isn't the issue. I also verify the discs. Thanks for the reply

Perhaps the "missing files" error during Win2000 setup might be a "one-time" thing if the setup worked on a majority of your other PCs. Just try the Win2k CD setup again on that problematic computer (or create another Win2000 CD, this time burn or write the ISO CD image at a slower speed and never burn them at hi-speed like 16x or higher) [heck, burn the Win2000 ISO image on a CDRW disc instead of a CDR disc]. I have many CD-R AND CD-RW discs to spare when things don't go as planned the first few times around.