How in install Windows 98 or Windows ME from a USB?

edited July 2016 in Software
Before you say I'm crazy for wanting to install Windows ME, it's my laptop. So I have a old laptop(Compaq Presario M2000 Laptop), and I want to install 98 or ME on it. But it gives me an error when installing it from a CD, says no CD-ROM drivers. So installing it from USB would work. I found a video on how to install it ON a USB, but not FROM a USB. I will soon have a pic of the error it gives me when installing from a CD.

Comments

• Just recently I had a similar problem, but a simple solution: installing from a flat folder.
    • Use the appropriate bootdisk for your OS (Windows 95/98/ME) to partition and format the hard drive.
    • Boot into a small linux system like GRML to copy the Windows files from your source (USB-drive, CD-ROM or network) to the designated hard drive partition.
    • Again, boot with the appropriate boot disk and start the Windows setup.

Here is a MSKB article regarding Windows 95 installation from a hard drive.

Hope this helps
  • Install DOS, format the internal drive, extract the ISO onto the usb stick with another PC, then plug the usb stick in, then copy over the files
  • Using even MS-DOS 6.22 FDISK and/or FORMAT won't neccessarily work because of the lack of LBA and FAT32 support. One needs to use the FDISK supplied with at least Windows 95C or other compatible tools.
    And using MS-DOS with USB mass storage is difficult, for the non-techie absolutely impractical.