Gateway 2000 PC ram problems

edited May 2016 in Hardware
Hello!

I have this gateway 2000 computer that I want to put windows XP on, however it always spits up this error message:

"An unexpected error has occurred. (536821760) occurred at line 1768 in D:\xpclient\base\boot\setup\arcdisp.c "

So I went ahead and googled it and found it had to do with bad ram and or ram socket. I already know that I have a bad ram socket, as when I went to upgrade the ram from 256mb to 512mb, there was already 2 256mb ram sticks. I did some testing and confirmed it.

Is there anyway to disable the bad ram socket and or patch Windows XP to install on it? I have also tried Windows 2000 and it just gets stuck at the "inspecting your hardware config" screen. I would also be happy if Windows 2000 would be patched if XP can not. The only thing it can run is anything MS-DOS (win95, win98, etc.) and its not very useful.

Thanks.

Comments

• Download and run MEMTEST first (you can write it to a floppy, bootable CD, or USB device) to confirm it is indeed a RAM issue.

Reducing the amount of available memory usually won't help Windows in the event of a RAM failure.
  • Just pop out the RAM stick in the bad slot. If it's RDRAM, you might need to put a terminator in.
  • I should say

I already did take out the ram from the bad slot. it still gives the error

I even checked the BIOS with the stick in the bad socket- it showed nothing.