WinWorld Download Problems

edited May 2016 in Site Issues
Is there a Mirror 1 or no?

Comments

• No. Mirror 1 is no longer in service. The database still mentions it because it will need a cleanup to remove the references.

PS: Split from the old topic you tried to bump.
  • I tried downloading some applications from Mirror 3 but it doesn't download and takes me to the home page without my download. Is this a Mirror 3 problem?
  • I tried downloading some applications from Mirror 3 but it doesn't download and takes me to the home page without my download. Is this a Mirror 3 problem?

Judging on your post time this was an issue with our SSL certificate expiring today. I have renewed it and placed a new certificate in so they work again.

Each mirror will check your request before serving the file - if it does not get a valid response it will redirect you to /library. This is based on a callback to the main site and with the SSL certificate expired, that system was unable to get the proper response.
  • Stitch,
    When will mirror 2 be up and running?I tried download mirror 3 and page return to the library page. I use Mozilla Firefox 49.0.1 and occasionally Google Chrome (latest version 50) and MS Internet Explorer. Is there something I'm doing wrong? What can I do?
  • Which download is doing that for you? All downloads on mirror 3 look like they are working.

Rioter says he has his new mirror server up, but the name wdl2.winworldpc.com needs to be updated to the new IP address.
  • The following are:
    Microsoft Money 98 Standard Edition (ISO),
    Microsoft Money 98 Standard Edition (OEM) (ISO).
    Microsoft Money 2000 Deluxe Edition (ISO) and
    Microsoft Money 2000 Standard Edition (ISO) are.
    Is my settings?
  • Those all work fine for me. So there must be an issue with your browser or ISP.
  • dmd53164 try changing your IP. You appear to be posting from Comcast so if you change the WAN MAC address in your router Comcast DHCP will assign you a new one.

Mirror two is also now back online. It will take up to 5 minutes *from the time of this post* for DNS to propagate.
  • Hmm, the files on Mirror 2 don't seem to be where they should be. On a hunch, I noticed if I insert "downloads/" before the filename then it finds it.
  • I'm getting these problems as well. But this occurs on both mirrors. Mirror 3 Redirects me to the library site and mirror 2 gives me a 404 Not found.

The files you ask?
    SCO Unixware 7.1.1 and Openstep 4.2 Enterprise.
  • Again, those work fine for me on mirror 3.

The mirror 2 "not found" problem is a different issue. Actually, when you get the 404 not found on mirror 2, try inserting "downloads/" between the server name and file path in the displayed URL. It should then find the file. Or does that redirect you back to the library too?

(I'd hack something to point the download page to the right place, but I think Stitch or Rioter were going to properly fix that and some other issues.)
  • SomeGuy wrote:
    The mirror 2 "not found" problem is a different issue. Actually, when you get the 404 not found on mirror 2, try inserting "downloads/" between the server name and file path in the displayed URL. It should then find the file. Or does that redirect you back to the library too?
    Thank you SomeGuy, that actually worked perfectly. Interesting little fix by the way.
  • Ok, glad to hear that much works. Rioter migrated his mirror to a new box, and the HTTP server is just pointing to the mirror home folder rather than the downloads folder in the home folder. I can't change that though.

It just occurred to me, something else to try on Mirror 3 - If the download page redirects you to the library page, try hitting "stop" on your browser when the page appears and click on the "here" link instead of letting the download to start automatically.

Please try that and let us know if that make any difference or not.

I had seen that trick make a difference on a couple of files with odd characters in them, but I was sure that only affected my older web browsers.
  • I'm under the assumption that some paths were changed around when Rioter did his move. I'm not sure however because I don't have any SSH key access as he didn't copy over any of the existing authorized_keys, so until he fixes that, we might as well just de-pool mirror two until we can properly review?
  • Since rioter doesn't seem to be around, I've just thrown a quick and dirty hack in to download.php to point to the /downloads folder just for wdl2.

Of course I'll need to change that back (restore from download.bak) when that is corrected.
  • SomeGuy wrote:
    It just occurred to me, something else to try on Mirror 3 - If the download page redirects you to the library page, try hitting "stop" on your browser when the page appears and click on the "here" link instead of letting the download to start automatically.
    Please try that and let us know if that make any difference or not.
    So I decided to try it out on MS Windows 3.1 and when I clicked on the mirror three page it redirected me back to the library page. But when I click on the "here" it redirects me to here:
    wdl3.winworldpc.com/Microsoft%20Windows%203.11%20(Retail%20Full)%20(3.5).7z

From my observation, it looks like this url is not quite the same as the url in mirror 2.
  • birdy wrote:
    But when I click on the "here" it redirects me to here:
    wdl3.winworldpc.com/Microsoft%20Windows%203.11%20(Retail%20Full)%20(3.5).7z

From my observation, it looks like this url is not quite the same as the url in mirror 2.
    But does it start the download?

The URL displayed in the the URL bar will have spaces and some special characters "escaped" such as %20, but that is normal.

If I copy that URL in to my URL bar - after visiting the appropriate download page so as not to trigger the hot linking protection - the download starts for me.

And like I just said above, I just put a quick hack in the download page so wdl2 will temporarily insert the "/downloads" path.
  • Im sorry, no the download does not start. If you pick on "here" it will redirect you to the library page. Bit if you open the "here" link to a new tab it opens a blank page.
  • I'm fixing mirror 2 issues now.
This discussion has been closed.