Poll for what OS should be used

edited April 2016 in Software
Just want some ideas for my Levon Thinkpad t61.

Comments

• It's Lenovo. Please start making better posts or your account will disappear faster than Bernie Madoff's wealth.
  • First off, OS/2 Warp and Win98 are way too old for a modern-age laptop and secondly, why would you need help for having Win7 on it? Well from that poll you've provided, I would say Linux in this case. It can pretty much work with any computer, old or new, depending on what distro you're going for.
  • stitch wrote:
    It's Levon. Please start making better posts or your account will disappear faster than Bernie Madoff's wealth.
    I was on a Ipad an it auto corrects to Levon not Lenovo.
    Bry89 wrote:
    First off, OS/2 Warp and Win98 are way too old for a modern-age laptop

I Got Windows 98 working on this and I Seen people get it working on newer hardware but I may be mistaken.
    Bry89 wrote:
    secondly, why would you need help for having Win7 on it?

It boots but then it gets stuck at the starting windows
  • So Stitch opened the registrations for a few minutes and there were people besides spammers just lined up waiting to get in?
  • Mario9501 wrote:
    stitch wrote:
    It's Levon. Please start making better posts or your account will disappear faster than Bernie Madoff's wealth.
    I was on a Ipad an it auto corrects to Levon not Lenovo.
    WHY IS IT SO HARD TO PRESS THE LITTLE "X" WHEN IT OFFERS AUTO-CORRECTION? OR JUST CORRECT IT IMMEDIATELY AFTER IT GOT CHANGED? OR JUST DISABLE AC ENTIRELY?

Sorry, had to shout that. To answer your question, Windows 7 or Linux. If former, describe us exactly what's the problem. If latter, you'd want something light, maybe Lubuntu or something (though I'm sure people here have better ideas than me). 98SE and OS/2 are pointless nowadays so don't even bother.
    SomeGuy wrote:
    So Stitch opened the registrations for a few minutes and there were people besides spammers just lined up waiting to get in?
    Well, you know how it goes. You tell the kids "no more candy until you're no longer naughty". They stay calm. Some time later, you give them back the candy, and having no reason to be nice, the rest is obvious.
  • Windows 7 used to work but I think it may be that some files try to boot but fail to ever load, it gets to /WINDOWS/SYSTEM32/DRIVERS/DISK.SYS then freezes.
  • Well, "Mario", I think it is just time to reformat and re-install Windows 7. There is little point in you running anything else on that machine. And while some people here might be willing to help out, this really isn't a tech support forum for modern OSes or hardware.
    garirry wrote:
    Well, you know how it goes. You tell the kids "no more candy until you're no longer naughty". They stay calm. Some time later, you give them back the candy, and having no reason to be nice, the rest is obvious.

It's a damn embarrassment though. The other day I was at the Vintage Computing Festival SouthEast and was trying to tell a fellow collector about WinWorld in hope he might send some of his archives our way. But there isn't an easy way for him to contact us or contribute files.

I can't keep an eye on Winworld every second of the day though. It seems like by the time I see a problematic post, everyone else on Winworld has already arseploded all over it - even when it is still in the moderation queue.

Perhaps we need a comprehensive intelligence test at signup. That current spam blocker seems to only accept one single question.
  • Why would you want to put Windows 98 or OS/2 on it? You'd get terrible graphics and nonexistent drivers.

A better place to get help with Windows 7 would be sevenforums.com.

If Windows 7 ***really*** won't work, just throw something like Lubuntu or Debian on it. Maybe even Slackware.