EAGLE GWBASIC Version 0.7?

edited February 2016 in Software
I recently bought a book entitled "Using the Eagle PC and 1600 Series". It is mainly about programming in BASIC, it only has a few pages specific to Eagle products. It does describe the peculiarity of the Eagle 1600 where the internal hard disk is drive "A:" under Eagle's OEM of MS-DOS 1.25. (This particular MS-DOS version and associated utility disks have not yet surfaced BTW). Otherwise the book could be applicable to any MS-DOS machine. It wouldn't surprise me if the title was chosen as a promotional deal.

But it shows an interesting tidbit in one of the figures where it describes starting basic:
EAGLE GWBASIC Version 0.7
(C) Copyright 1982
59978 Bytes Free
Ok
That suggests this version of GWBASIC may have been included with or alongside Eagle's MS-DOS 1.25 OEM.

I would have expected it to include Microsoft's disk-based BASIC-86 Interpreter like most other very early non-IBM DOS versions. Although GW-BASIC was just an enhancement based on BASIC-86, didn't even realize GWBASIC itself went that far back. I'm not even sure I have seen any "1.x" GWBASIC versions floating around.

Well, interesting little detail there.

Comments