Using a generic PCMCIA Wi-Fi Card in place of an Airport

edited January 2016 in Hardware
I have a couple PowerMac G4s that use the original PCMCIA Form Factor Airport card. I was wondering if it was possible to use a generic PCMCIA Wireless card in that Airport slot provided either the card is short enough to fit in the case or the antenna (along with the plastic thing that sticks out of the card) is removable and the card has Mac OS X Drivers. I wanted to make sure there weren't any other factors that makes an Airport card different from a regular PCMCIA Wi-Fi Card (Other than the antenna being external rather than built into the card, Of course.) before doing this so I don't damage the hardware.

In case you're assuming the connector is a different shape, It isn't, I've tried putting in a Linksys PCMCIA Wireless card in the Airport slot in my Quicksilver PowerMac. It fits in the connector, The only issue is the antenna is too narrow for it to fit in the case. I didn't try powering it on with the cover open and the card inside it to prevent damage just in case it's not electrically compatible.

Hopefully this isn't a repeat of a previously posted topic. After all. I don't remember seeing a topic like this on this site.

Comments

• I believe the keying on AirPort cards is different than PCMCIA.

Also note any Orinoco card should work in place using AirPort drivers.