Win 3.## drivers on WinXP.?

BOZBOZ
edited November 2015 in Software
Hello, and thank you WinWorld for a resource of Abandoned softwares.

I am still, and I mean still, trying to find a way to install DOS based drivers on an XP OS.
Using a USB plug for my plotter, from late 80's, may be part of this issue.

Have been trying to find a "Add a Plotter Wizard" from an old AutoCAD R.14 and earlier, that will install a driver onto WinXP, as this seems the most obvious and simple install program, regarding this print/plotter.
If anyone knows of another program (Drivers included) designed for/catering Houston Instruments plotters.?
Reference : (HI)Plotter driver; late 1980's. able to install on XP or above.

Any Help or references would be greatly appreciated. Plenty of OS Win3.## skills, if helping makes easier, .

Ta Muchly.

Comments

• You can not use a DOS driver with XP (or any version of NT). 95/98 might even be a long shot.
  • Thanks, though I have not been able to install the drivers list on my Device drivers list.
    Tried DOS prompt, AUTOCAD r14 (ADD plot Wizard), HIPLOT driver file. All is fine with WINline, though a watermark, or a large payout for license is not preffered.

Since I am trying some CAD programs that do not have their own drivers list, I only pray that someone has a clearer option.
  • Use Virutalbox and install DOS on it. You should be able to use host connections of parallel and serial with it.
  • Sorry for the late reply,

Did you know if VirtualBox will allow a DOS based driver to become a Devices on my WinXP PC.?

I thought that the Serial usb may have hindered the install. that's all.
    As afore mentioned poster says, that DOS will not install a driver on WinXP.

Otherwise, Windows 95 , :cry: hopefully solves ,.
  • The way VirtualBox works is you install Windows 3.1, your drivers, and your Windows 3.1 application software inside the virtual machine. When you print something from your application inside VirtualBox, it will go to a simulated serial or parallel port that VirtualBox will then redirect to your real serial port.

No guarantees that will actually work, though. Modern USB to serial converters are shit, and it is possible the software might not like running in VirtualBox.

But I think you would have better luck hunting down a decent Windows 95, 98, or 98SE desktop computer. From my experience, many Windows 3.1 printer drivers will work on Windows 9x. But no guarantees.

Exactly what model of plotter is this?
  • Direct serial cable connections are possible with VirtualBox, but be aware that it is tricky. Took me a couple of days to get it work between my main desktop PC with VirtualBox (Win95) and my 486 laptop running Windows 95.

I don't remember how I mapped the virtual serial interface to the physical interface on the motherboard itself, but it did work. But as SomeGuy stated, you're better off purchasing an old Win9x beige box. I've built and sold a couple on eBay for people in similar situations as yours.