The best Linux distro

edited November 2015 in Software
In your opinion, out of the countless number of them that exist today, which is the best Linux distro and why? For me, even though I am only a novice to it, I would say Ubuntu because to me it looks quite nice and is very customisable too, where you can configure it however you want it. My other favourites are Manjaro and Elementary OS but for the latter, it's only for its appearance as I haven't used it yet.

Comments

• edited November 2015
    IMO, I'm prefer Debian not only quite stable and faster for daily usage, but also huge number of packages and more customizable, that's why this Distro used as base of many Linux Distros. The drawbacks only installation can be trivial works if your hardware doesn't open source driver implementation, especially Intel WiFi Link that you must install manually before you can connect through Wifi. Ubuntu is easier and made linux more accessible, but for nice looking I'm prefer Linux Mint with their Cinnamon Desktop.
  • Debian Linux is by far the best one in my opinion. I don't like Ubuntu at all, it's a fork to Debian and it is bloated as hell.
  • Pretty much anything debian based. Mint and Ubuntu are probably my favorites for desktop use. For server use, I usually use Ubuntu Server.
  • Hmm...

Raspbian (Debian Wheezy for the Raspberry Pi) and Ubuntu 14.04.
  • I haven't used much, but I like Ubuntu and Zorin OS.
  • Personally I go Debian.
    But nothing after wheezy. I personally hate dealing with systemd. (it doesn't like me and my "hackjob" ways)
    That was the one thing I hadn't learned about in 8 until someone here said. (and I did a little research and some "customization")
    Am I the only one who still uses CDE?
  • If your stepping into Linux for the first time, I would say Xubuntu or Elementary OS. Both of these will be a truly good learning experience for you. There isn't really a full out best Linux OS. It's more about opinion with this subject, and its also dependent on what is your learning style. I use to like Ubuntu, until I stepped into Debian and saw how much more freedom I have with the Operating System. If you like every thing to be up to date go with fedora, if you like every thing to be stable go with Debian. It also is dependent on what kind of system are you running. So in my opinion just go explore the distro's and see which one you like the best.
  • You should make a poll for this!
  • birdy wrote:
    If your stepping into Linux for the first time, I would say Xubuntu or Elementary OS. Both of these will be a truly good learning experience for you. There isn't really a full out best Linux OS. It's more about opinion with this subject, and its also dependent on what is your learning style. I use to like Ubuntu, until I stepped into Debian and saw how much more freedom I have with the Operating System. If you like every thing to be up to date go with fedora, if you like every thing to be stable go with Debian. It also is dependent on what kind of system are you running. So in my opinion just go explore the distro's and see which one you like the best.
    I have dabbled with Linux before, though so far I've only tried out Debian, Ubuntu, Manjaro and Xubuntu. To me, Ubuntu seems the best one for me although I liked Debian before, until I felt that Ubuntu offered more and felt more comfortable using it.
    You should make a poll for this!
    ...why should I?
  • You should make a poll for this!
    There's so many Linux distros out there that he would pretty much miss a bunch, it's not a good idea. Polls aren't good unless it's a simple "yes/no" question or a question with few possible answers.
  • garirry wrote:
    Polls aren't good

FTFY
  • Fedora.

/thread
  • Isn't there two types basically? Debain fork based and Redhat based?
  • My favourite for desktop use is Xubuntu, it's snappy and supports all Ubuntu/Debian software. For servers I like CentOS, it's based on Red Hat which is standard for servers and also has long support.
  • TCPMeta wrote:
    Isn't there two types basically? Debain fork based and Redhat based?
    Nah. Just the Red Hat releases. If there's a Debian fork it's likely a ripoff.
  • I mean two different style formats. Different package management and system configuration between Debian and Redhat. I know a fork is a copy that some asshole tossed on a different package like Ubuntu tossing on a crappy kernel release and a bloated Unity GUI.

Oh, there's also Slackware.

Granted I love Linux and that it is Open source but there should be a limit on creating distros.
    https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... meline.svg
  • Oh. Right.

I thought you were referring to a fork of Fedora with apt instead of yum.

That would be oddly unnecessary.
  • TCPMeta wrote:
    Granted I love Linux and that it is Open source but there should be a limit on creating distros.
    https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... meline.svg
    There shouldn't be. Bad software will just fall into obscurity and good software will continue to develop and become even better software. Limiting creativity on that would cause problems.
  • No, there shouldn't be an actual limit... but there are definitely too many distros out there and it only serves to hinder Linux's progress as the market is saturated with too many choices... so users don't know what to pick. Not to mention uncertainty about which distro's will last and which are the flavor of the month and will soon be forgotten.
  • Debian is my current favorite. I've never used Ubuntu newer than 10.04 so I can't say for sure about that. From what I've heard, The newer Ubuntu GUI is different from GNOME 2 used in the previous versions.
  • Debian is my current favorite. I've never used Ubuntu newer than 10.04 so I can't say for sure about that. From what I've heard, The newer Ubuntu GUI is different from GNOME 2 used in the previous versions.
    Newer version of Ubuntu used Unity forked from GNOME 3, so I don't see too much different by GNOME 3.
  • Here is what I can remember from back when Linux was just starting to get big to now.

Slackware and Mandrake were the choice then soon Redhat. Then Suse linux came about and then you started to hear Debian. At one point you were considered a idiot if you were not using Gentoo. six months later after Gentoo showed up people were switching to Redhat and Debian let alone going full Unix with FreeBSD. From there the fork road spread more and came Ubuntu and such.

If people were not so into creating distros and just worked on better coding on current software Linux could probably be used more then a end user / hobby OS.
  • Best: Linux Mint <any versions>
    Second:Unbuntu 10x above
    Third:Debian<any>
    Fourth:Knoppex Linux
    Worst:FreaX
  • If you ask me, the best distro in the world is Slackware.