What's the best browser compatible with Windows NT 3.51?

edited August 2015 in Software
Seems like an odd request, I know. I just like old OSes and would like to try it and actually have a decent web browser that works with modern sites.

Comments

• there isn't any because NT 3.51 is a 16bit core OS and I think IE5 was the latest version that was compatible and IE5 is like surfing the web with Lynx. Not going to get far.

Try this link. Yo can use Seamonkey to use HTML5 websites but it's still hit or miss.
    http://toastytech.com/files/95browsing.html
  • Seems like an odd request, I know. I just like old OSes and would like to try it and actually have a decent web browser that works with modern sites.
    I wish you good luck with that. I would say if you can get some thing that was made for windows NT 4.0 then that could give you what your looking for. Actually I remember that toasty tech did a thing with browser's made for windows NT 4.0 but he manged to run it on Windows NT 3.51...

So with that being said you can run Firefox 2, Opera 3.5 (for css support), Netscape 6?, Lynx, and many other's that I'm not quite sure about. Hope this helped...
  • TCPMeta wrote:
    there isn't any because NT 3.51 is a 16bit core OS and I think IE5 was the latest version that was compatible and IE5 is like surfing the web with Lynx. Not going to get far.

Try this link. Yo can use Seamonkey to use HTML5 websites but it's still hit or miss.

Are you drunk? NT is 32-bit, that is the goddamn point. NT 3.x had to use the 16-bit IE because the 32-bit IE was deeply integrated into the shell.

32-bit Netscape works... though it aged poorly. You can try Firefox 2/SeaMonkey 1.1, those should work.
  • ampharos wrote:
    TCPMeta wrote:
    there isn't any because NT 3.51 is a 16bit core OS and I think IE5 was the latest version that was compatible and IE5 is like surfing the web with Lynx. Not going to get far.

Are you drunk? NT is 32-bit, that is the goddamn point. NT 3.x had to use the 16-bit IE because the 32-bit IE was deeply integrated into the shell.

32-bit Netscape works... though it aged poorly. You can try Firefox 2/SeaMonkey 1.1, those should work.
    Firefox 2? Thank you, just the answer I was hoping for :D
  • Well, Firefox 2 is definitely more compatible than IE 5, but a far cry away from being compatible with the modern web.
  • I could of sworn that it was 16bit with some 32bit API crap that was like the offered update for Win3.x.
  • TCPMeta wrote:
    I could of sworn that it was 16bit with some 32bit API crap that was like the offered update for Win3.x.
    All Windows NT are truely 32-bit, and M$ do that because all of 32-bit IE use *compilcated* ActiveX objects that doesn't exist prior to Win95.
  • TCPMeta wrote:
    I could of sworn that it was 16bit with some 32bit API crap that was like the offered update for Win3.x.
    All Windows NT are truely 32-bit, and M$ do that because all of 32-bit IE use *compilcated* ActiveX objects that doesn't exist prior to Win95.
  • Couldn't get IE5 to work on this OS, so I tried using IE4. Farthest I got was clicking a search result. Then the poor thing started choking on itself. If you can't get IE4 on that thing, then I suggest trying some third parties.