/

edited August 2015 in Software
Ive tried to use the Microsoft Neptune, and the fist two earliest build of lonhorn.

Comments

• ok, then what?
  • what is topic talk about
  • I'm guessing the root disk directory?
  • I was expecting some insightful discussion about how Windows uses \ where as *nix uses / in pathnames, and the topic title was a joke based on that. Instead it appears the poster slammed his hands on the keyboard hoping something would submit on here.
  • Qjimbo wrote:
    I was expecting some insightful discussion about how Windows uses \ where as *nix uses / in pathnames, and the topic title was a joke based on that. Instead it appears the poster slammed his hands on the keyboard hoping something would submit on here.

That is a good question. I know it gets on my nerves when im using a Windows command prompt window and issue a command then "The system cannot find the path specified." then dongs on me "oh, that is unix."
  • As far as I can tell, it's because the forward slash was already being used as the switch character. Now why they chose the forward slash as a switch character is another question.

But Windows will do its best to let you type forward slashes in path names
    C:\>cd /users/admin

C:\Users\Admin>

EDIT: Evidently, it's because of the developers that came from a DEC background where the switch character there was also a forward slash. Here's a blog post about it: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/larryosterman/a ... 32386.aspx
  • Good read
  • Catalog98 can you please stop being stupid?

I have no patience for stupid people like you.

Correct this ASAP.

Tks.