Microsoft windows 2000 server applications.

edited July 2015 in Software
Where can I find a list of all microsoft server applications that are compatible with windows 2000 server and which versions are compatible?

Comments

• All you need is Windows 2000 Server and you'll have all of the tools needed for a simple server. Honestly most people back then used 3rd party software for server needs such as SSH, Telnet, HTTPd and even DHCP.
  • I am just playing around in a vm and I want to know what versions of witch microsoft server software will work with windows 2000.
    PS. 3rd party DHCP server? It includes a DHCP server.
  • I've never heard anyone using a third-party DHCP under Win 2000. I think but could be wrong what bonnedav is asking about is the software that was purchased separately from Microsoft as add-ons, such as SQL, Exhange, BizTalk, etc.
  • exactly thinkpadman.
  • Back then if you were working for a company and smart you wouldn't trust windows with a 10 foot pole for managing DHCP so you would do manual selection of setting up IPs or use a decent Cisco router. Reason being is MS's DHCP server for Windows NT4 and 2000 was sloppy with a hundred systems on a network it would try and issue out 192.168.122 but 192.168.122 would already be issued to another system.

Most people used MySQL or PostgresSQL. Most companies that had their own email service used MDaemon. I never heard of Biztalk.
  • You're looking at this through the warped perspective of a Linux user. Back then, most enterprises used MS DNS/DHCP because of its integration with Active Directory, and used MS SQL and Exchange. (Maybe they used sendmail instead of Exchange.)

BizTalk is only relevant if you're an enterprise user, not the kind of thing Linux types use.
  • There is nothing warped about the perspective of a Linux user. I think Linux is better than Windows, but that's not the point. I just want someone to please answer my question.
  • Surely using Win2000 for an internet connected server is a massive security risk these days?
  • Qjimbo wrote:
    Surely using Win2000 for an internet connected server is a massive security risk these days?
    Connecting *anything* to the internet is a massive security risk, but that doesn't stop most people.

Anyway, the best bet for a list of 2000 server apps is to hunt down appropriate tech magazines from that time period and see what they talk about. Keep in mind that some applications would have maintained compatiblity well in to the 2003 server era.