Problem installing Win 95 OSR2

edited July 2015 in Software
Hi all,

I have a problem installing Windows 95 on a HP Compaq 6910p Notebook from 2007. The first part of the installation completes, and then I fix the MaxPhysPage record in system.ini and install this patch for faster CPUs, which seems to get the Setup going again. However after the screen asking for Username and password, it searches for hardware and BSODs.

20150726_122617.jpg
20150726_122626.jpg
20150726_122651.jpg

After pressing enter I just see the above screen and the setup doesn't progress. I googled the error and found it has something to do with accessing the CD drive on HP notebooks: http://support.hp.com/ca-en/document/c00035377

I was thinking if I could copy all the Windows files to the drive I might be able to make the setup continue using that, but I have no idea how. Any suggestions would be great on how to get past this. Alternatively it may be easier to find a harddrive image of a fresh Windows 95 install with generic drivers, but have no idea where to start looking for that.

Thanks!

Comments

• Windows 95 is tempermental on newer hardware, less so with OSR2 though.

You may have better luck with NT based Windows (4.0/2000) - maybe even 98SE. Heck, I think ~2007 is the last of 9x/NT4 support on Intel chipsets, so...
  • edited July 2015
    ampharos wrote:
    Windows 95 is tempermental on newer hardware, less so with OSR2 though.

You may have better luck with NT based Windows (4.0/2000) - maybe even 98SE. Heck, I think ~2007 is the last of 9x/NT4 support on Intel chipsets, so...

Interesting. Yeah I know the thing can definitely run NT based OSes, like XP, just really wanted to turn this into a classic Windows 95 laptop for old apps and games (including DOS games). May try to install 98SE but really wanted 95, since the anniversary is coming up and I thought it would be neat to have a retrospective look at using it.
  • If the BIOS in your computer lets you disable extra hardware components, and possibly enable compatiblity options, that might help.

Installing from the hard drive instead of a CD is strongly recommended. Just copy the SETUP folder form the CD to the hard drive and run setup from there.

But the thing about a laptop like this, even if you can get it installed, you are not going to have drivers for anything.
  • SomeGuy wrote:
    If the BIOS in your computer lets you disable extra hardware components, and possibly enable compatiblity options, that might help.

Installing from the hard drive instead of a CD is strongly recommended. Just copy the SETUP folder form the CD to the hard drive and run setup from there.

But the thing about a laptop like this, even if you can get it installed, you are not going to have drivers for anything.

Good idea actually, I'll try that! And yeah I've had a few people tell me about the drivers, but the CPU should be fast enough to run generic drivers, I hope. We'll see though, if I ever get it working.
  • Disabling devices I didn't need in the BIOS worked - it fixed it! Now I have the Windows 95 desktop. Only in 16 colors and 640x480, but it's something!