Windows 3.0 Test Drive demo

edited October 2014 in Software
Here is something interesting that happened to pop up: A Windows 3.0 "Test Drive" disk that was a freebie from PC World:

http://sarsie.fobby.net/disk-images/Mic ... %20EGA.zip

I'll properly upload it here shortly. According to several magazine articles that Google Books turned up, there was both an EGA-only and VGA-only version, as well as a 1.2mb and 1.44mb disk version.

This one is only the EGA version, and is intended only for use on machines with an IBM EGA card. Due to a bug, the setup gets confused if you try to install it on VGA machine. Interesting I don't think there are any emulators that just emulate EGA without VGA.

I got it to install by adding the line "vga = 1:ega.drv, "EGA", "133,96,72", , 1:egalogo.lgo, , , , 1:egalogo.rle" in the [display] section of the SETUP.INF.

It is basically just a stripped down minimal install of Windows 3.0 with a PC World sideshow, and crippled so it tries not to run other Windows 3.0 application. It is possible to run other Windows 3.0 applications by inserting the string "DEMOAPP" in to an EXE's application description header.

But hey, it includes Solitare! So what more do you need! :)

Comments