Love This Site!

edited August 2017 in Software
Was able to give my slightly choppy Windows XP machine a fresh start with a Windows 2000 CD thanks to WinWorldPC. Also got to explore a lot of the neat abandonware. Trust me folks, Windows 2000's still much worthy. I can even use VLc on it to watch videos and all. Some game emulators like ZSNES and FUSION work there, too. With all my exploring, I'm happy with what I've found. I hope this site continues to prosper for years to come.

Comments

• Marri wrote:
    Was able to give my slightly choppy Windows XP machine a fresh start with a Windows 2000 CD thanks to WinWorldPC. Also got to explore a lot of the neat abandonware. Trust me folks, Windows 2000's still much worthy. I can even use VLc on it to watch videos and all. Some game emulators like ZSNES and FUSION work there, too. With all my exploring, I'm happy with what I've found. I hope this site continues to prosper for years to come.
    Windows 2000 isn't supported anymore. Try to use Windows FLP, it's newer and you can hack it to get updates, unlike Windows 2000.
  • FLP/XPe isn't in support either. POSReady is, and mainline XP can be beaten into shape to accept those patches.

If you're not running it as a daily driver/internet faring machine, it doesn't matter what you run, but when you're on the public internet using it, you have a duty to protect yourself to protect others, and that includes running an OS in support. You'd be surprised how well 7 and newer take to old computers, and Linux is always an option.
  • Marri wrote:

This site is great, and Windows 2000 is still awesome! I run a number of older, outdated machines and I haven't had a virus in years. Just watch what you do online, run an ad blocker (I recomment uBlock Origin) and you'll be fine. I pretty much only open websites I trust on my older systems and leave my tinkering/exploring to my linux machines (or virtual ones).
  • I should have been more specific: I actually have three computers (one tower and two laptops). This one is Linux, my internet laptop. Antivirus software's never been a big hit with me, so I just decided to use Linux since it rarely gets anything like a virus. I even have the CD I can reinstall with, it keeps all my files if I do, and I download my programs from the Linux Software Manager free of risk.

I put Windows 2000 on my old tower PC, which has no internet connection. I just use it as a more "classic" or "vintage" kind of thing. I put games and emulators on it and also VirtualBox, so I can emulate older Windows and DOS versions. I'm not too computer-savvy, so those other kinds of Windows and pseudo Windows aren't really my priority.

I do have Windows XP on the laptop though, and its internet connection stopped working a few years ago (the laptop itself, not the Windows XP) so it's an offline thing too. I don't much care for newer systems and their updates; Windows 10 was slow when I previewed it, it updated for about 43-700 years with every startup, and even Windows 7 is a bit beyond my preference.

I might enjoy emulated Windows XP best on Virtualbox if I felt I was at risk during internet use; I can just return to a clean save state whenever I get viruses. I don't know the in-depth things about computers, but I know some fun stuff.