recommendations for Cf card to be used with IDE?

edited August 2017 in Hardware
I am looking if anybody have recommendations for certain CF card brands that work the best when using them on IDE. I am looking for cards that work in fixed disk mode possibly , Unless installing windows 98 and lower doesn't mind that it comes up as removable? Isn't it coming up a removable disk a problem when installing windows 2000 and above and possibly any version of windows nt? Also isn't there a issue with smaller sectors , that CF card will read and write to slower than larger sectors? Is there CF cards that don't have this problem?

Comments

• A quick google search
    Take a look: here. This site was helpful when I was placing a flash card in my x41t.

Which had some cards that were tested in thinkpads, but would also work elsewhere.
  • edited August 2017
    A quick google search
    Take a look: here. This site was helpful when I was placing a flash card in my x41t.

Which had some cards that were tested in thinkpads, but would also work elsewhere.

I have looked at it, I still don't know what cf card to get , there are many cards that exist don't know what to pick, still trying to find if a Cf card exists that don't have the problem with read/write of smaller sectors , of it reading and writing them much slower than the speed of the cf card. cd9085f8-de3c-48d3-ae52-adbb367c6988_1.239fc22f65e68ca374d8d68714d013d9.jpeg?odnHeight=450&odnWidth=450&odnBg=FFFFFF
    What I am talking about with slow read and write of sectors of 512 , 1k , 2k , and 4k which is only write. Doesn't windows 98 and older mainly use those sectors , which will slow down the OS?
  • You do not have to worry about the slowdowns with those transfer sizes.
    It will not slow down the os to a noticeable level, if at all.
    The problem you may face is disk paging/virtual memory and a slow cheap cf card.

Virtual memory will be an issue because of the high i/o, wearing down and slowing the card.
    A cheap slow card means a cheap slow card.

If you'll notice, several folks are proudly using cf cards in their machines. Windows 98, 3.1, Xp...

Here, I'll give you one.
    An ebay link

Transcend CF300 card series. A little pricey, but quality?
    Supports "true" IDE modes, and is actively tested on CF to IDE adapters for embedded purposes as the primary boot disk.
    Perfect for use as a Windows 98 boot drive either way.

Here's the datasheet. The first paragraph is in German, and is irrelevant. All the specifications are in english so it doesn't matter.
    http://www.produktinfo.conrad.com/daten ... B_300X.PDF

And website, in english:
    https://uk.transcend-info.com/Embedded/Products/No-524
  • You do not have to worry about the slowdowns with those transfer sizes.
    It will not slow down the os to a noticeable level, if at all.
    The problem you may face is disk paging/virtual memory and a slow cheap cf card.

Virtual memory will be an issue because of the high i/o, wearing down and slowing the card.
    A cheap slow card means a cheap slow card.

If you'll notice, several folks are proudly using cf cards in their machines. Windows 98, 3.1, Xp...

Here, I'll give you one.
    An ebay link

Transcend CF300 card series. A little pricey, but quality?
    Supports "true" IDE modes, and is actively tested on CF to IDE adapters for embedded purposes as the primary boot disk.
    Perfect for use as a Windows 98 boot drive either way.

Here's the datasheet. The first paragraph is in German, and is irrelevant. All the specifications are in english so it doesn't matter.
    http://www.produktinfo.conrad.com/daten ... B_300X.PDF

And website, in english:
    https://uk.transcend-info.com/Embedded/Products/No-524

I don't think I need a Cf card that fast, since I am using it on a old laptop that is only PIO-4 which is 17 MB/S about.
  • An hour ago you were concerned about the drive being too slow,
    And now it's too fast...

Well there are plenty of slower, and slightly pricier, CF100 and CF200 cards.
  • An hour ago you were concerned about the drive being too slow,
    And now it's too fast...

Well there are plenty of slower, and slightly pricier, CF100 and CF200 cards.

I actually just figured out what it used , I thought it was UDMA , but actually it only goes up to PIO-4, I only need something that is 110x for read, if I want the same speed for write it says to add 50% of the x speed since write is slower. I am probably going to get a 200x or 233x cf card , which should be just right. I don't want to buy a faster and more pricier since it wouldn't be worth it because of the pio-4, and that it faster the pio-4 means the cf card won't be the bottleneck.
  • I was thinking about getting this Industrial CF card

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Goldendisk-Industrial-CF-card-16GB-Complact-Flash-Card-NAND-MLC-Flash-Embedded-/162624095415?

s-l1600.jpg

I messaged them on ebay and what they are telling me, it is a fixed cf card , that will show up on ide as fixed, and also it has a 50 MB/S read and a 20 MB/s write, which is almost the same as the Transcend industrial. I am wondering if it has the same features as the transcend , of it supporting S.M.A.R.T, Wear-Leveling, built in ECC, and others. I am thinking it could be a reject transcend card , of it not being up to spec with transcend. I found a review on this card and it is a pretty good card apparently. But not totally sure if I should trust the card.
  • >Seller with only 26 ratings
    >Used "GD" instead of "GB" typo?
    >Never heard of "Goldendisk" as a company
    >Description and listing are not the same, description says 4gb, listing says 16. Then description doesn't even mention 4gb as an offering
    >Speed is not directly stated
    >Description possibly Copy/Pasted?

For the sake of you, your money, and your data, enough with the no-name generic cards.
    Please, get a kingston cf card if you must go cheap. Or a cheapo Sandisk.

As for the GD card supporting features the transcend offers,

Don't count on it. Sellers can, and will, tell you anything to sell something even if it is on the edge of the universe false.

This reminds me of the time when one of my coworkers went full cheap and bought a "solid-state drive" from aliexpress.
    Long story short, it was a generic sd card stuck in a plastic drive mold with an adapter. It worked, but not very well.
  • edited August 2017
    Seller with only 26 ratings
    >Used "GD" instead of "GB" typo?.........

their website is http://goldendisk.cn, and yes they are a real company in china.
  • @michaelweaser

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=9713

Read SomeGuy's comment carefully.

I also don't recommend to post whole quotes.
  • Weaser,

At this point, I've offered you my 2 cents. Whether or not you take them is on you.
    If your heart is set on purchasing the first result on "Price - Lowest First" that says "compactflash" then that's on you. I can't change that.

It could work, it could not. All I know is I've used varieties of compactflash cards for years with photography.
  • Weaser,

At this point, I've offered you my 2 cents. Whether or not you take them is on you.
    If your heart is set on purchasing the first result on "Price - Lowest First" that says "compactflash" then that's on you. I can't change that.

It could work, it could not. All I know is I've used varieties of compactflash cards for years with photography.

What I have decided to do is probably buy a Kingston Ultimate 32GB 266X card , which it says on that thinkwiki.org site , they show up as fixed on a CF to IDE adapter and I will also buy that Cheap Goldendisk one as well, You won't know unless you have tried it , I will be surprised if it has the specs that it says it does , in speed and that its fixed.