Internet Modem?

edited August 2017 in Software
My family has switched to VOIP so I can no longer use my internal modem.

However, I have found a solution for this:

A program called internet modem, which lets you connect an old computer through a null-modem serial cable to a newer computer and use the newer computers internet connection as a "modem".

I have this program, and the hardware needed.

However, when I do atdt www.thekeep.bbs, I get "modem error code = 4" on the console of the program on my newer computer.

Does anyone know what error code 4 would mean?

Comments

• This seems janky. If you're attaching via serial, you can just use SLIP and get full networking stack function.
  • how would I go about using SLIP?
  • Twiggy wrote:

A program called internet modem, which lets you connect an old computer through a null-modem serial cable to a newer computer and use the newer computers internet connection as a "modem".

However, when I do atdt http://www.thekeep.bbs, I get "modem error code = 4" on the console of the program on my newer computer.

Install an ethernet card into your pc. Modems are old and slow.
  • Set up a SLIP server on the other machine. You can use Linux (or another Unixoid) or an old version of Windows that has the stack. I recommend setting up a VM for this and passing through the serial port.

A guide for NT 4: https://virtuallyfun.superglobalmegacor ... with-slip/

There's the other options of PPP over null modem, and of course, actual Ethernet. Seriously, use Ethernet so you can keep your sanity. I set up SLIP for my Butterfly and abandoned it as soon as I got Ethernet and a WaveLAN.
  • Twiggy wrote:

However, when I do atdt http://www.thekeep.bbs, I get "modem error code = 4" on the console of the program on my newer computer.

Install an ethernet card into your pc. Modems are old and slow.

im not going to do that on a machine made far before the Internet was a public thing. I'm mainly just trying to dial bbses like I did when we still had a POTS line.
  • Install an ethernet card into your pc. Modems are old and slow.

Can you take your unhelpful crappy posts elsewhere? Thank you.
  • Twiggy, I think I found your post on another site about this... I can't find a manual or error code list online for the "BoycoT Internet Modem" software. However right off the bat, you need to use telnet gateway software with a telnet server; The Keep's telnet server is at thekeep.net, not www.thekeep.bbs.