Packard Bell Pack-Mate III Review.

edited August 2017 in Hardware
It's time, I think for me to write a review.

When I first came into sole possession of the Packard Bell Pack-Mate III 2/3 months ago, it did not have a sound card, only 1mb of ram, and had no hard disk drive as the previous owner used it for booter games., and thus never had a need for a hard drive.

Overtime I have done some upgrades to it, the first was buying a 121MB hard drive, and installing it - which worked. Second, I install my Sound Blaster 16 - which worked, and just recently buying 4mb of ram from Russia, installing it, and after some searching - properly configuring it.

It is now able to run Windows 3.0 well, and Wolfenstein 3D runs perfectly.

All in all, this is the best vintage system I have, and it survived all the operations I did on it.

I don't understand the Packard Bell hate, for what it is, this machine seems to stand up pretty damn good.

10/10 rating! 8)

Comments

• Twiggy wrote:

When I first came into sole possession of the Packard Bell Pack-Mate III 2/3 months ago, it did not have a sound card, only 1mb of ram, and had no hard disk drive as the previous owner used it for booter games., and thus never had a need for a hard drive.

Overtime I have done some upgrades to it, the first was buying a 121MB hard drive, and installing it - which worked. Second, I install my Sound Blaster 16 - which worked, and just recently buying 4mb of ram from Russia, installing it, and after some searching - properly configuring it.

All in all, this is the best vintage system I have, and it survived all the operations I did on it.

I don't understand the Packard Bell hate, for what it is, this machine seems to stand up pretty damn good.

10/10 rating! 8)
    Their early machines were quite good, but as time went on, the quality degraded until their machines were nothing more than garbage. Hence all the Packard Bell Hate.
  • You should also try the Windows 3.0 TestDrive as well (for the PC World Tutorial program). Install it in a separate directory (e.g. C:\WinTD instead of C:\WINDOWS). If the PackMate has VGA, you can (and should) use the custom build of the Windows 3.0 TestDrive with VGA drivers I made and distributed here a while back. Search the forums; you'll find it. I'm on a mobile device, so no link now, sorry.
  • Twiggy wrote:

10/10 rating! 8)
    Try installing Windows 3.0 MME, it will better take advantage of that SoundBlaster card.
  • Twiggy wrote:

10/10 rating! 8)
    Try installing Windows 3.0 MME, it will better take advantage of that SoundBlaster card.

I would, but this just has a 12MHZ 286, so multimedia is right at the edge of what it could handle properly.

DOS programs like Wolf3d and Dual Module player, use it just fine, though.
  • Twiggy wrote:
    Twiggy wrote:

10/10 rating! 8)

I would, but this just has a 12MHZ 286, so multimedia is right at the edge of what it could handle properly.

Why don't you try an inboard 386, you'll get a 386 processor and much better performance.
  • Twiggy wrote:
    Twiggy wrote:

10/10 rating! 8)

Why don't you try an inboard 386, you'll get a 386 processor and much better performance.

I looked at accelerator cards, but they cost more than the entire listing did.
  • Folks, please prune your quotes. They are starting to get stupidly long. Usually only a relevant sentence or two need to be quoted. And most of the time you don't need a quote at all when you are replying to the very last post.