Any way to get AT&T System V Unix working in a VM?

edited July 2017 in Software
Hey,
I was looking through the library and I noticed "AT&T System V Unix". I wanted to try it out, so I downloaded the file and tried booting up my vm using the provided floppy image. Once booted up, it shows the VMware screen then goes to black. Is it possible to get AT&T System V Unix working in vmware or is there a special VM I need to download to run this OS?

Thanks,
Randy

Comments

• Which Os Did You Select?
  • edited July 2017
    I don't think AT&T System V Unix was designed to be run on the x86 (Intel) architecture. It was mainly designed for RISC (Reduced Instruction Set Computing) processors, like the ones Bell Labs/AT&T used at the time. It may be mislabeled as x86-32 in the library.

TL;DR No, you can't run AT&T System V Unix in a VM.

I also found a bug on the homepage:
    AtO8k2K.png

The ampersand sign is showing as an HTML entity instead of an ampersand (&).

EDIT: Removed glaring error about the first x86 Unix-like OS. My bad! (Thanks to ampharos for pointing this out.)
  • What? Unix was running on machines back in the 60s and 70s before RISC CPUs became prevalent. x86 Unix and Unix-likes like Xenix and Coherent existed on PCs.

I looked and this SysV probably wants a much older PC. Try using PCem to emulate a 386 based system.
  • ampharos wrote:
    x86 Unix and Unix-likes like Xenix and Coherent existed on PCs.

@ampharos: I was specifically talking about SysV Unix, but it wouldn't hurt to try it on PCem anyways, like you said.
  • ampharos wrote:
    What? Unix was running on machines back in the 60s and 70s before RISC CPUs became prevalent. x86 Unix and Unix-likes like Xenix and Coherent existed on PCs.

I looked and this SysV probably wants a much older PC. Try using PCem to emulate a 386 based system.

Okay thanks, will try PCem!
  • Erito17 wrote:
    ampharos wrote:
    x86 Unix and Unix-likes like Xenix and Coherent existed on PCs.

@ampharos: I was specifically talking about SysV Unix, but it wouldn't hurt to try it on PCem anyways, like you said.

Unix wasn't made for a single processor (like Solaris was). It was made for who ever had a system to use it on. Unix SVR and it's predecessors where ported all around the place, that's how it spread, and it was a dynamic system that can be built on just about anything. As long as you had a compiler, the sky's the limit!

@randhirbhattu I wish you good luck, I will love to hear back if you made it through with it.
  • I was able to boot SysV R4 Unix on Pcem set to a 386, though a 486 could work. I forgot the exact config used, but I do know setup will get finicky and can fail randomly.

DO NOT set ram higher than 16mb. Recommend disk size under 500 megs.
    It will not boot higher ram than 16 megs, and unix will get sketchy when attempting to put in hdd config(cylinders, heads, etc) for higher than 500 megs.
    Or at least I remember. It is possible to install, though it can be finicky.

And, if I remember correctly, there was a specific command you needed for the bootloader to start unix after it is installed.