Autodesk Deck 2.0 install problem

edited April 2017 in Software
Being an old guy, I am doing my very best to load and install Autodesk Deck 2.0. After I put in the INSTALL command, it is asking me insert disk 1. Clearly, I do not have a disk 1 or 2. How do I get past this? HELP!!!

Comments

• Like many DOS products, this product must be installed from floppy disk, either real or emulated. In this case, substituting a folder for the A: drive will not work as install checks for an identically named ID file on each disk.
  • So the solution is...?
  • The solution is to write the images to floppies using WinImage if you are doing this on real hardware. If using an emulator or virtualizer, there should be an option to mount the images as diskettes.
  • documentation for E0X
    ððððððððððððððððððððð

liability,warranty
    ÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍ

If you use this program, i am not responsible for the damages
    you cause. I have tryed to make my programs error-free...
    E0X can used free of charge.

description
    ÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍÍ

þ this program emulates floppy disks in floppy drives.

þ it can load and save several formats from/to files.

þ i have developed this program to do easy installation of
    programms from harddisk, CD or other storage media.

þ it is a shell - not a tsr - you can unload E0X by simply
    exit the executed program.

þ you can use E0X as a fast storage.
    ( similar to Ramdisk/VDisk/Ramdrive)

þ a diskchange is possible : whith F11/F12 keys you can
    switch to the next/previos disk image.

þ to be fast E0X loads the entire disk image in XMS memory.

þ the emulation works on interrupt $13/$40
    ( see tested programs chapter "Getestete Programme" in e0x.deu )
  • @SteveS

viewtopic.php?f=36&t=8165&p=145411&hilit=Autodesk+Deck+2.0#p145411

No problem to install and work Autodesk 2.0 from 3.5" Floppy Drive if you downloaded it from WW.

This program can't be installed from Hard Drive.

If you can't still install it, you should ask questions concretely.
  • ibmpc5150 wrote:
    @SteveS

This program can't be installed from Hard Drive.

Wrong, wrong, wrong.

I extracted all files from both disks to the root of C:\ in a Windows 98 VM, ran INSTALL.EXE and it was done in under 10 seconds.

Afterwards, I deleted the files from root, leaving it as it should be. It's a simple installer made even simpler because each of the files are little PKZIP self-extractors. This means, that even if the installer balked, you could copy all files to C:\DECK, double click on each *.EXE in turn, and when done, you'd have a complete install. In fact, that's just what the installer does, and it even leaves them in the installed directory - making things a bit messy.

deck_installing.jpg
  • Aw Hell, and then I forgot to post the "about pic" and the really tasty bits: The software is really a cleverly camouflaged Generic CADD package tailored to the DIY crowd, I guess. Generic CADD was my first love when it came to CAD, I loved it dearly. Paid full retail, screamed like so many others did when Autodesk bought them out.

Anyway, that's engine that runs this software.

deck_about.jpg

deck_sample_loaded.jpg
  • This program is for real DOS and can be installed from Floppy, not for Windows.

viewtopic.php?f=36&t=8165&p=145411&hilit=Autodesk+Deck+2.0#p145411

I offered this program with scan.

Of course I installed this program several time.

(Real DOS PC, PCEM, PCE, etc.)

I ask question. Why do you think my comment is wrong?

I installed it from real DOS PC (Pentium) too.

Once again! This program is for Real DOS and installed from Floppy.
    Not for Windows! and Not for installation from HDD.
    There is no mention about instlation from HDD or Windows DOS prompt on manual.

This can be installed from HDD from C:\ , but this is Not normal method
    Installed files should be copied to C:\ and DISK.ID from Disk 2 should not be copied.

Normal method is to install on real DOS from floppy drive.
  • ibmpc5150 wrote:
    This program is for real DOS and can be installed from Floppy, not for Windows.
    I offered this program with scan.
    Of course I installed this program several time.
    (Real DOS PC, PCEM, PCE, etc.)
    I ask question. Why do you think my comment is wrong?
    I installed it from real DOS PC (Pentium) too.
    Once again! This program is for Real DOS and installed from Floppy.
    Not for Windows! and Not for installation from HDD.
    There is no mention about instlation from HDD or Windows DOS prompt on manual.
    This can be installed from HDD from C:\ , but this is Not normal method
    Installed files should be copied to C:\ and DISK.ID from Disk 2 should not be copied.
    Normal method is to install on real DOS from floppy drive.

Dude, you said it couldn't be installed from HD, and I should it could.
    The man just wants to use the software.
    Get over yourself.

You didn't provide a solution, :( and I did. :)
  • Ok, I stand somewhat corrected. I actually tried it before posting and it didn't work for me. I see that if you copy the files to the ROOT directory it will work, but I had copied it to a FOLDER in the C drive like most people would do, and had the second disk.id.

Still, a good chunk of DOS programs here will NOT install from the hard drive. They may check things like the volume label of each disk, that makes it completely impossible. When one finds a workaround it may be specific to that product.

So for *THIS* product, probably the best way is to copy the files to a folder on C:, make sure you have the DISK.ID from disk 1 and not disk 2, SUBST drive A: for that folder, and then run install.

But if your thing-a-majig can simply mount floppy disk images then you would not have had to guess that :)
  • Yeah, I'm not trying to make anybody right or wrong - I just want to find a solution and not be slamming the door in their face.

Yours is sage advice on any given day.

It's just something about Autodesk products that gets my hacker hairs up & I got lucky. And it's actually Generic CADD under it all so I learned a cool thing too.
  • First, thank you for your assistance. I have my computer recognizing the correct program. However, I am using Windows 10 and I have been told it is another animal. I have an error message "Error reading VGA3.VGD". Any ideas or solutions? Some way to sidestep Windows 10's restrictions? Forgive me if I seem beyond help, but this is by far the furthest I have gone trying to make one of my favorite programs work. Plus, I am in desperate need of this design program.
  • @SteveS

This program is not considered to work on modern Windows.
    (This is considered to work on MS-DOS.)

At least this works well on real DOS or PC emulator (PCEM / 86BOX).