Turn IRL Floppy Disk into IMG file?

edited February 2017 in Software
I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but I really need to know.
My computer is old enough to have an FDD installed, but new enough to be used in 2017.
I found this set of 30 Windows 95 floppy disks, and I want to convert them into images for use in a virtual machine, and share them with friends, and maybe WinWorld if they're not already here.

Does anybody know how I'd go about doing this?

Comments

• ImgBurn is also good; just remember to save as *.ima and rename it to *.img if you specifically need an img file.
    www.imageburn.com
  • What are you talking about? ImgBurn is for CD-ROMs. Not floppy disks.
  • Yeah, it's for CD/DVDs, not floppies. Anyway, I think the WinWorld library does include Windows 95 OSR-- 1 or 2, I don't remember which one came on 30 floppies.
    [EDIT] WinWorld doesn't have Windows 95 OSR 2.5 on floppies, which I believe do came on 30 floppies.
  • If memory serves, OSR2.5 was never released on floppies. It's a good thing he has a real floppy drive, those lobotomized USB drives tend to go full retard when you try to read/write 720k or DMF formatted disks with them.
  • The interesting thing is that Microsoft offered the floppy version of Windows 98 (First Edition) by mail order.

I don't know the information about floppy version of Windows 95 OSR 2.5
    (I've never heard about it.)

Winimage is easy tool to dump non copy protected disk based on DOS/Windows (FAT12)
    But I think Winimage has problem to dump broken or bad track.

For example : If bad track (unreadable sector) is on 8/0/2 (Track 8/Side 0/Sector 2), Winimage fills byte as 00h on all track 8/0

So it is very hard or nearly impossible to fix the bad track.

I use DCOPY.EXE or WIMAGE.EXE (NOT WINIMAGE.EXE) on real DOS or Command Prompt of 32bit windows.
  • A Kryoflux or SuperCard Pro can sometimes do even better at recovering damaged disks. A while back I recovered a disk that had a pile of sectors as bad, but only a few bits in each sector were wrong. Luckily the CRC data was all intact, so with a bit of MFM text file editing, pattern matching, and guess work I was able to fix it 100%.

Windows 95 OSR 2.5 was just 2.1 with IE 4 and a different USB update installer.

Which raises the question, was IE 4 ever released on floppy disk? And would a floppy set be more or less potent than the CD when performing satanic rituals? :twisted:
  • SomeGuy wrote:

Which raises the question, was IE 4 ever released on floppy disk? And would a floppy set be more or less potent than the CD when performing satanic rituals? :twisted:
    I thought the USB update was slipstreamed into setup for OSR2.5? I kinda doubt IE4 was released on floppies, but I'd be pleasantly surprised if someone was to prove me wrong. The setup program and .cab files for IE4 installation on the OSR2.5 disk take up about 25Mb, so a little stripping-down would be in order for "floppyfication". As for the Satanic rituals part, I have no clue; try contacting your local dark priest for help.
  • SomeGuy wrote:
    Actually, OSR 2.5 is less like Windows 95 OSR 2 or 2.1 and more like Windows 98, and even featured some things from Windows 98 like Internet Explorer integration in explorer, among other things.
  • eli573 wrote:
    SomeGuy wrote:
    Actually, OSR 2.5 is less like Windows 95 OSR 2 or 2.1 and more like Windows 98, and even featured some things from Windows 98 like Internet Explorer integration in explorer, among other things.
    OSR2 and OSR2.5 are the exact same once you install IE4 w/Active Desktop, the USB supplement update, and (I think) a few extra hotfixes. The only real difference is that IE4 and USB support didn't ship with OSR2 and IE4 is missing from OSR2.1. So no, they aren't that much different after all.