First OS?

edited January 2017 in Software
I think mines is Windows XP. I may be wrong.

What is your first OS?

Comments

• 3.1 back in 94.
  • My first OS was, if you count it, the Commodore Kernal in Commodore 64. The second one was Windows 3.1.

Excluding the C64's one of my older brothers got the first PC in our house, IIRC it was a MikroMikko (essentially made by Nokia) with a matching monitor and most likely matching accessories too. It took some time before we got more computers, but I already had two computers around the time I turned ten. Why? Why not, they were awesome.

First OS I installed myself was most likely Windows 98. Being so young I didn't really understand much about differences of 95/98/ME, but nonetheless I enjoyed messing around with computers. My first and last touch with 2000 was with my brother's HP Omnibook 6000. At that time XP was already a thing, but it was unstable in the OB6K so I was forced to go with Win2K.

I'm fairly certain that my first linux was Knoppix (not counting getting confused when my brother's computer booted Red Hat and I had no clue about ~anything regarding it (it rather annoyed me, it was a perfect way to keep me from using his computer). Deeper dive into linux world happened equally by Fedora Core and Suse. I'm a bit unsure when Ubuntu entered the picture, but once it did, it played a significant role for a while.

My first touch with OSX happened 2009 in a school, we were lucky enough to have a room full of (back then) modern iMacs. I didn't really learn anything, I spent most of the classes in irc (gotta love the built-in ssh)... I finally purchased my first very own Apple machine (MBP) in 2013 and I have seriously considered the possibility of replacing my primary machine with something with Apple-logo ever since.

I went horribly off-topic but replying with just a single word would be horribly boring. :/
  • Even though it wasn't even in my time, the first operating system I used was Windows 98, on my Dad's old Toshiba
  • Mine was Windows 95 around 2001-2.
  • psychobat wrote:
    Mine was Windows 95 around 2001-2.

A little late to use 95, you could have used XP, 2000, ME, 98 and NT 4.0 :D
  • My first OS was MS-DOS 3.2 with 80286 machine (20MB HDD) in 1990.

I'm still using IBM DOS 2.00/3.30 on PCE Emulator and MS-DOS 6.22 on ISA PC (for dumping 5.25" disks) & DOSBOX
  • A little late to use 95, you could have used XP, 2000, ME, 98 and NT 4.0 :D
    When I was still playing around with 3.1, 95 was already out, then 98 came out and I was still messing with 3.1.. It took quite a while before I had the means to catch up with everyone else. It wasn't as easy as it is nowadays. Heck, I might still have been using 3.1 in 2001!

I failed to include a year in my post, I'd like to fix that but honestly I have no idea. I can barely tell the difference between what I did when I was 5 and when I was 10. Safest bet would probably be saying that I got my hands on a computer for the first time somewhere around 1997 (and it had 3.1, no doubt.)
  • I think Windows 95 was my first.
  • Windows Millennium back in 2002.
  • My first computer ran Windows 98 SE.
  • I guess it depends on what you mean by first. First OS I ever used? Or first OS I installed?

First OS I used was probably some flavor of DOS, but can't remember at all. I wasn't really into computers at the time.

First OS I installed was DOS 4.01 on my 286. This was back in 2001 or thereabouts. Like many others, I didn't have the means to get anything newer at the time, but it was a great learning experience.
  • First OS I used I can't pinpoint now but used MS-DOS 3.x on a friend's 286 XT with CGA graphics. It was later given to me when he upgraded to a 386DX. I remember being thrilled going from that 286 to a Pentium 100 with Windows 95 OSR2 back in late 1996.

On a side note, I remember another friend who had a 286 which you needed to let it run for 10 minutes or so to "warm up", otherwise I'd go and play Jill of the Jungle or something else straight away and it would just crash.

On the Apple side, it would have been System 7.0 when my school purchased a heap of Macintosh LCs to replace a handful of Commodores back in 1992.
  • The very first computer/operating system I recall using was a Windows 98 PC a friend of my dad's owned. Besides that we mostly had Macintosh LCs around schools running OS 8 with AtEase at that time.

We got our first computer (a 486DX2 Packard Bell) running Windows 3.1 in 1999, and it was the first computer I spent any significant amount of time on. Some time later we got a new PC running 98SE from 'Patriot PC' which was our sole family computer for several years until I started acquiring my technical interest and got my own computer(s).
  • If you count the OS I ever saw first, it was DOS in around 1994-95.

First OS I ever worked on: Windows 95 in 1997, then Windows 98 once it released.

(lol, I still remember the advertisement which says "Try the new OS: Windows 98!" with the well-known clouds background)
  • Hmm, technically even with the floppy disk system, the TI-99/4A didn't really have a proper "OS".
  • When my father was in the Navy they had a DEC PDP-15 with XVM in his shop. I played Zork on it and it was fun.

First home PC I had was a IBM 286 AT with a whopping 640KB memory and had DOS 2 something on it. Had EGA graphics as well, the 3.5inch floppy was replaced with a 1.44MB drive but only worked half of the time. My dad had a friend install DOS 6.2 on it and even tossed on a few games. DOSSHELL to me was better then Windows 3.x. Even had Wordperfect Shell to make things easier. When I got a few non-working 386 clones to smash together to get a single working system I tossed a few left over parts as upgrades to the 286. Replaced the WD 30MB drive with a Maxtor 200MB drive. Had to leave the drive outside of the case because it was too big. Added a 287 co-processor, soundblaster compatible card and a Revel 2x CD-ROM drive. To keep memory free I used a bootdisk to have CD-ROM support when I wanted to use the CD-ROM. Mostly used it as a CD player. By time I got a hold of a VGA card for it the system died. Kinda miss that system even though my 386 was way more powerful and ran that beast until 98.
  • My mother had a windows 95, which I guess it was my first OS, but the one OS I really remember using was Windows ME. I still have that same Windows ME computer with me. It's 13-14 years old and still running, I stopped using it since it gave me the B.S.O.D so many time's.

If also you mean the first OS ever installed, my first was Zorin 6.1 LTE on my desktop computer (which now has Windows 2000 on it...).
  • Whatever garbage used to run on oldschool acorn PCs that were given to UK schools via Tesco back in the late 80s/early 90s. Or RM's custom clusterfuck that used to run on their 186 Nimbus PCs. Around 1992/3ish I guess.
  • Mine was a copy of Windows 3.1 that came preloaded on a Compaq Presario I had back in 1996.
  • Mine was deskmate from Tandy. At the time I thought it was amazing.
  • In elementary school back in the early 1990s, the first computer I had ever used was an Apple IIe. Therefore, Apple DOS 3.3 or Apple ProDOS was the first OS that I had ever used. Mostly, I'll never forget the startup sounds (*Beep* da-da-da-da-da-da-da). I vaguely remember dabbling in some version of BASIC. We used these my first year of middle school as well.

The rest of this post is just me waxing nostalgic:

By 6th grade (1995-96), they upgraded to modern Windows 95 machines. It piqued my interest in computers tenfold. It was in fact the first time I found myself wanting to play around on a computer, getting myself in to pickles, only to (hopefully) find some way to get out of them. Some classroms were still on Macs (if applicable). So I had also used Mac OS 8 very lightly as well in middle school. I mostly remember the wake from sleep sound, and that wild Eep.

By the graces of God, my family got a computer not long after. Nothing special, some cheap desktop PC (US Computers or something) with Win95. I remember my brother buying a GWBasic disk just so he could try out some commands that he learned when he was in high school. Meanwhile, I was still rooting around on the family comp, curious about what all I could do. I remember once making the display crap out by selecting an incompatible monitor setting, and a friend had to fix it for us. A couple of years later, same friend gave us his old computer (which was an upgrade overall from our old one) with Windows 98. I was especially happy, as I could finally get the sound fx card working in Duke Nukem 3D, ha.

In high school, the district upgraded to Windows 2000 when that was eventually released. In 2004, I bought *my* very first computer at the PX at Camp Foster in Okinawa. A Toshiba Satellite A series with Windows XP. I was still quite inexperienced and stupid with that computer, getting viruses and such. But it started to lay the groundwork for my computer handiness. Five years later, I bought a computer with Vista, then four years later, a Windows 8 computer. Now, I'm on 8.1 wearing a Windows 7 shell. Toshiba all the way!

My first experience with Linux and Unix was last March, when I discovered virtualization. That, coupled with my decision to major in IT has seriously probably tripled my knowledge of computer hardware and software.
  • Hello everybody!
    My first (micro)computer was something based on Z80 (a ZX Spectrum clone) made in Romania. So besides the BASIC interpretor stored in the ROM, i actually played more with the CP/M os that was loading from a floppy disk. There i could develop some programs in some sort of Pascal version. After that i switched to a 286 computer (DOS, Windows 3.0 and maybe windows 3.1 i'm not quite sure). After that I had a 486, a 686, a Celeron, a Pentium II systems. So i went through Windows 95, 98, Me, NT4.0, 2000. After that another Celeron at 1.7 Ghz, a Barton 2600+ Venice core, Athlon64 3000+ on 939 socket and then the first generation of I5 750 that i still use now. As OS's followed XP, XP64 bti, Windows 7 (32/64) and now Windows 8.1. Along these i also use(d) different Linux flavors of which i sticked with debian64. I also use from time to time OSX (Lion and Leopard). That's about it.
  • Hum I was born in 1998 (yep, I've no past yet :D), so the first PC I touched was running Windows 98 I guess.

At school, when I was under 6-7 y.o we used to play on Windows 98 computers as well. I also remember seeing some PCs with 95 but it was rarer.

After 98 my father used Win2k but I don't think it lasted a long time... and XP came quickly.

I grew up when computing was already spread!
  • Windows ME (Dont judge me) on a old Gateway computer can roughly remember the specs

Pentium 2 66mhz
    32mb of ram (Cant remember which type of ram)
    2GB Hard disk (Was fine for playing some old emulators my dad loaded for me)
    DVD Drive for watching my old cartoons
    and I think there was a TV tuner card as i remember watching some CITV through it. might have been through the internet though.
  • Back in 2000, I used Windows 2000 as my first OS

Of course, I upgraded to XP in 2001

Vista in 2007

Windows 7 in 2010

Windows 8 in 2012

and finally, Windows 8.1 (which I'm currently using) in 2014
  • The very first OS I used was was back in the late 70's - MVS & VM on an IBM 3081 mainframe using a composite terminal (literally a combo printer/keyboard - no screen). I used punch cards, punch card sorters, punch card interpreters, readers, and Job Control Language (JCL). I programmed in 370 assembler (BAL) and APL, and worked on the structured markup language (GML/SGML) that more than a decade later- is what Tim Berners-Lee modeled HTML after (a little known fact of which only a handful of people are aware; very few people know the actual origins of markup language and why it was invented in the first place back in the 60's/70s)

On my first microcomputer, an AVL Eagle that I used to construct massive 24 Kodak projector multimedia sequenced screen shows (40 foot long x 20 high rear projection - concert scale) and massive sound systems, I used CP/M.

Then I got one of the very first 5150 IBM PCs off of the manufacturing line and ran both PC DOS 1.0 and CP/M.

FL
  • Mine was a 98.
  • Windows XP at my Uncle's house. It was a huge gray box that I don't think should've been running XP, and it was extremely slow, but that sound that played when you logged on and off ingrained itself on my brain, and that Bliss hill on the background always takes me back. Oh, and don't forget the virusware program shortcuts taking up half the screen. Ah, the memories :D
  • First OS I used was Windows Millennium Edition on a Toshiba laptop in 2003, I also had access to some Windows XP Desktop at the time, I think it was a Compaq but I can't remember.
  • Oh no...

not those malware links. My old family computer had about a sixth of the desktop usable from someone downloading so-called "autofixes". If the computer could, I swear it would be puking. :pukel: R.I.P, remember always.