Hello world in Visual Studio 97

edited November 2016 in Programming
Hey guys! What a great resource for old abandonware, this is right up my alley!
I browsed a little yesterday, ended up installing Windows 98 SE and Visual C++ 5.0, so I decided to write up a little "tutorial" for anyone thinking it'd be fun to write a "hello world" application in Visual Studio 97.

It's available here: https://medium.com/introduction-to-programming/hello-world-a-blast-to-the-past-af2a370f9a88?source=linkShare-c62b1d7eac54-1478681641

Really loving this site, hopefully I'll be able to explore even older developer tools!

Comments

• Extremely good article, would you be able to post a guide on how to install Visual C++ in a VM? VBox Guest Additions do not work on Windows 98 so you can't use file sharing with the host PC...

EDIT: Changed Visual Studio to Visual C++. My bad.
  • The procedure is identical to writing up a Hello World in any other IDE that supports C, so... okay?

@Erito - you mount the image.
  • The procedure is identical to writing up a Hello World in any other IDE that supports C, so... okay?

Yes-- you can do the same stuff in Xcode on macOS.
    @Erito - you mount the image.

Thanks-- I didn't know it came as a CD image which is why I asked.
    Yeah, it's nothing new, and it's not that hard. I just thought it'd be fun to write up how to navigate the IDE for those who haven't tried it before.
    Erito17 wrote:
    Extremely good article, would you be able to post a guide on how to install Visual C++ in a VM?
    Thanks! I use VMWare Fusion on macOS, so I basically just downloaded the VMWare image for Windows 98 which supported networking and drag-and-drop, so I didn't have any problem dropping the installer over. So I haven't tried making VirtualBox work.