Forum rules

More rules will be posted soon but this forum specifically forbids advertisements of your YouTube channels or videos, unless it features a relevant technology and a significant text post.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:22 pm | Post subject: Windows 3.1 Developement SDK - How to make a program?

I wanted to make a program in Windows 3.1 for keks, so I got the Windows 3.1 Developement SDK.
I then installed it, and in autoexec.bat I set my path variable to "C:\DOS;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDEV\BIN;C:\WINDEV\INCLUDE;C:\WINDEV\HELP".
I then proceeded to use Windows 3.1's MSDOS-PROMPT feature, and navigated my way to C:\WINDEV\GUIDE\OUTPUT
I copied all of the contents of C:\WINDEV\INCLUDE to C:\WINDEV\BIN and C:\WINDEV\GUIDE\OUTPUT to try silence the "windows.h - file doesn't exist" error or whatever, and it worked! I did silence it!
However, it gives me an IO error when trying to compile the OUTPUT.RC into an exe.

What do I do?
I have "COMP.BAT" setup to do "RC -X -V C:\WINDEV\GUIDE\OUTPUT\OUTPUT.RC C:\TEST.EXE"
I have verified that C:\TEST.EXE exists, but compiling without it existing and with it existing both fail.

Reply with quote   Report this post
 Post Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:28 am | Post subject: Re: Windows 3.1 Developement SDK - How to make a program?

The RC program needs the EXE file to exist already.

I'm assuming your EXE is malformed as it is only 2 bytes long. :)

Maybe double check for problems in your linker command that produced the EXE?

Note that the SDK \GUIDE\OUTPUT directory includes a Makefile that you can use with NMAKE (included, for instance, with MS Visual C++), so that you can just run NMAKE with no parameters and it will do all the steps including the RC run.

Reply with quote   Report this post

Search for: