Weekend Value Village find: Gameboy colour!

edited August 2017 in Video Games
It's that day of the week again!

Yup, at Value Village I found a Game Boy Color for $19.99 CAD. Sadly, no battery case was bundled with it though that's ok because I have another Game Boy Colour with a battery case those two can share but blue.

But this wasn't any normal Game Boy Color- it was a play it loud series one!

It is a purple clear plastic that looks pretty awesome. Sadly this has Game Boy has some issues.
The speaker is completely dead- not a peep is emitted through the speaker. There's a huge crack in the plastic body at the top. (As I already mentioned there's no battery door). And the screen and body is very scratched. Though it does work so that's the main thing.

So yeah- my good weekend find :D

Comments

• Maybe try taking it apart to see what's wrong with the speaker. You'll want to try resoldering the leads or replacing the speaker outright.

Good find. I personally own a red Game Boy Advance SP given to me by a friend when she decided she no longer needed it anymore.
  • A friend gave me the "Atomic Purple" GBC about 10 years ago. Clear purple case, but not "Play It Loud". Still plays like a trooper. Something I found out with another GBC, the speaker can die completely if dropped. Try the headphone port. If that works, the speaker and crack may have been caused by the same drop.

Other week I picked up my own OG GameBoy, the gray brick with green graphics.
  • Erito17 wrote:
    Maybe try taking it apart to see what's wrong with the speaker. You'll want to try resoldering the leads or replacing the speaker outright.

Good find. I personally own a red Game Boy Advance SP given to me by a friend when she decided she no longer needed it anymore.
    I know the speaker is defiantly dead. I would take it apart and fix it, though I don't have any soldering experience or solder or a soldering iron.
  • BigCJ wrote:
    A friend gave me the "Atomic Purple" GBC about 10 years ago. Clear purple case, but not "Play It Loud". Still plays like a trooper. Something I found out with another GBC, the speaker can die completely if dropped. Try the headphone port. If that works, the speaker and crack may have been caused by the same drop.

Other week I picked up my own OG GameBoy, the gray brick with green graphics.
    I think maybe the system might have at one point was under water as the insides are pretty gross and dirty. And also some solder points I can see through the case has some stains on the board the solder is on. Might be ?rust? from water damage.

Though luckily I have an external speaker that connects via headphones jack and it works great! Headphone port works perfectly.
  • There's no telling how it could have gotten dirty inside. Lead and tin don't normally rust; the "staining" is probably flux leeching out of the solder, completely normal.