My cool weekend Value Village finds: OG Xbox!

edited August 2017 in Video Games
The last time I went to my local thrift / secondhand store, I had seen two OG (Original) Xboxs there and since I've never owned an Xbox, I wanted to get one. Though there were no controllers, TV AVI cables, or power cords of any sort for it. So I just left it.

During last week, I realized I could just get the cables and controllers off of Amazon and eBay. So after a long and desperate week, I went back to Value Village to buy an Xbox. Relieved, I saw the Xboxs still there, and amazingly, I saw 3x Xbox controller S devices. I also saw a power cord attached to the back of an Xbox. So I ended up getting 2x controllers, the Xbox, and the power cord. Luckily, at Value Village there's actually a power bar there ment for testing if any electronic device worked. I plugged in my Xbox of choice, and it didn't turn on! I tried the other one, same result. I was like niuuuu ples nuuuuuu. Then I was cought dumbfounded on myself as I saw the power bar was turned off. :p

I turned on the power bar and plugged in the Xbox that was in rougher shape, and it turned on! Though I wanted the other one because it was in better physical condition than the one plugged in. I unplugged it and plugged in the one I wanted, and it also turned on! So, I bought it with as I said earlier the 2x Xbox controller S devices and power cord.

My prices: (note; prices are in Canadian Dollars)

OG Xbox console: $6.99
Xbox controller S: $4:99 (x2): $10.00

Grand total: $17:00 (tax included in prices)

Still dunno if it loads games or plays DvD / CDs, but I look forward to trying it out. Though I need 2x adapters from the Xbox to work with the Xbox S controllers and a cord to connect from my Xbox to my WideScreen TV (and some games of course) and I'll be all set! :D

Comments

• Could you post pictures of the Xbox in operation?
  • I recently picked up an original Xbox at one of my local Goodwill's because it's a rare sight to see an electronic worth buying in there, not to mention that I've never had one (didn't get one when they were new unfortunately) and that it was only $9 US.
  • jamie1130 wrote:
    I recently picked up an original Xbox at one of my local Goodwill's because it's a rare sight to see an electronic worth buying in there, not to mention that I've never had one (didn't get one when they were new unfortunately) and that it was only $9 US.

Congrats on your find! Did it come with any cables and if it did, does it work?
  • Erito17 wrote:
    Could you post pictures of the Xbox in operation?
    Sure, I will re-quote this message when I do. I don't have any cords from the Xbox to my TV but I can post pictures of the power light on and disk tray ejected :)
  • Here's a link to an Xbox AV cable on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Dotop-Xbox-Cable ... x+av+cable

It's $7.99 (USD) and you get an additional power cord with it. This one is labeled "Amazon's Choice" and has some really good (5 stars!) reviews.
  • Erito17 wrote:
    Doesn't the original Xbox come with component/composite AV cables? Most modern TVs still support those. (Including my Sony 4K TV.)

Or did it not come with any AV cables at all?
    Yeah it did come with the AV cables when it was new in box, though. I got mine already unboxed, used with the power cable and some controllers. And my TV does support composite video (thank god, because I have to always swap the HDMI cables between the Blu-ray disk player, Apple TV, and my Wii U).

By the way, do you know how to upload images to a reply directly from my computer? (I have the images ready)
  • Alixnator wrote:
    jamie1130 wrote:
    I recently picked up an original Xbox at one of my local Goodwill's because it's a rare sight to see an electronic worth buying in there, not to mention that I've never had one (didn't get one when they were new unfortunately) and that it was only $9 US.

It didn't have any cables, but it does power on and also had GTA in the disc drive.
  • jamie1130 wrote:
    Alixnator wrote:
    jamie1130 wrote:

It didn't have any cables, but it does power on and also had GTA in the disc drive.
    Cool!
  • Alixnator wrote:
    Erito17 wrote:
    Could you post pictures of the Xbox in operation?
    Sure, I will re-quote this message when I do. I don't have any cords from the Xbox to my TV but I can post pictures of the power light on and disk tray ejected :)
    I posted the photos. Here's the link: http://imgur.com/a/JM2kL

If that doesn't work, here's another one: http://imgur.com/gallery/JM2kL
  • Cool. What games are you planning to get? GTA maybe?
  • Erito17 wrote:
    Cool. What games are you planning to get? GTA maybe?
    I'm not sure, I know my parents don't want me playing GTA. "Too violent". Though I'll have to do some looking around on eBay and my secondhand store if there's anything interesting. Maybe if I find it I'll get a Sims game, maybe a car racing game or some sort, or an adventure game. Idk
  • Nice find there, I've always liked the uniqueness of the original XBOX, those make great jukeboxes thanks to the ability to rip Audio CDs onto the built-in hard drive. the component video cable is a must if you have an HDTV with component in since the XBOX has the ability to display some games at 1080i and 720p resolutions.
    Alixnator wrote:
    Maybe if I find it I'll get a Sims game, maybe a car racing game or some sort, or an adventure game. Idk
    The XBOX has a good game library for a wide variety of genres so I'm sure you'll find something you might like, a majority of titles from the era have XBOX ports that are worth checking out, I'd list some but it's getting a little late here and I don't want to get sidetracked at 1AM.
  • Halo? It only involves shooting aliens. It isn't too violent.
  • Erito17 wrote:
    Halo? It only involves shooting aliens. It isn't too violent.
    Ok, I will look into finding a Halo / Halo 2 game for the OG Xbox. I thought Halo was a game like CS:GO with like blood effects and stuff, but if it's shooting non human figures then I'm almost completely sure my parents will allow it. Thanks for the suggestion :D
  • There are some pretty decent games for OG Xbox. I've been trying to find a way to emulate Jet Set Radio Future. It came with my Xbox when I got it.

Unfortunately, Xbox emulation is in the stone age still it seems.
  • Also the Xbox one has OG Xbox Backwards Compatibility now (or is it coming in an update?)
  • Erito17 wrote:
    Also the Xbox one has OG Xbox Backwards Compatibility now (or is it coming in an update?)
    I'm not sure, but if it does, that's awesome!

An update of the game and Xbox situation now.. my mom didn't really seem too impressed or delighted that Halo / Halo II has shooting in the first place. Though I went back to Value Village today and picked up some Xbox games cheaply. First one is RalliSport Challenge Platinum hits. It's a racing game with cars and such. Got it for $4.99 CAD. Second one I got is Battle Racing Ignited Burnout Revenge. Again another car racing game (And Xbox live enabled too!) for $3.99 CAD.
    I got 30% off of all my stuff so my Xbox games cost me (with the discount) for less than $5.00 CAD. I have no idea if the games even work as the disks are a bit scratched up (and my Xbox doesn't have the TV cables yet). I did order the cables I needed off Amazon and they are in shipping atm.

I also got Wii Play for the Wii with my bulk of Value Village finds and it works great! Another good weekend at Value Village :)
  • Totengeist wrote:
    There are some pretty decent games for OG Xbox. I've been trying to find a way to emulate Jet Set Radio Future. It came with my Xbox when I got it.

Unfortunately, Xbox emulation is in the stone age still it seems.
    Yeah.. ;(
  • Alixnator wrote:
    Erito17 wrote:
    Also the Xbox one has OG Xbox Backwards Compatibility now (or is it coming in an update?)
    I'm not sure, but if it does, that's awesome!

An update of the game and Xbox situation now.. my mom didn't really seem too impressed or delighted that Halo / Halo II has shooting in the first place. Though I went back to Value Village today and picked up some Xbox games cheaply. First one is RalliSport Challenge Platinum hits. It's a racing game with cars and such. Got it for $4.99 CAD. Second one I got is Battle Racing Ignited Burnout Revenge. Again another car racing game (And Xbox live enabled too!) for $3.99 CAD.
    I got 30% off of all my stuff so my Xbox games cost me (with the discount) for less than $5.00 CAD. I have no idea if the games even work as the disks are a bit scratched up (and my Xbox doesn't have the TV cables yet). I did order the cables I needed off Amazon and they are in shipping atm.

I also got Wii Play for the Wii with my bulk of Value Village finds and it works great! Another good weekend at Value Village :)
    **EDIT** Turns out the Xbox disks to work as I tried them in my DVD player and they work. I polished them up and I should be all good to go as soon as the cables from Amazon arrive. :)
  • @Alixnator: It's not possible to play Xbox games in a DVD player. The last time I tried something like that (with a 360), a message came up:

"Insert this disc into an Xbox 360 console to play it."
  • Erito17 wrote:
    @Alixnator: It's not possible to play Xbox games in a DVD player. The last time I tried something like that (with a 360), a message came up:

"Insert this disc into an Xbox 360 console to play it."
    Yes I do know that, though for the original Xbox it does an Xbox animation "intro-ish" video before saying "This is an Xbox game. Please inert it in your Xbox to start playing." It didn't actually start, though I did that just to verify the game wasn't scratched to a point that it wouldn't play / work whatsoever.
  • Ah, makes sense now.