Test Drive 1 (Accolade) Installer Analysis

edited February 2017 in Video Games
Installing Test Drive (360K) v1.0 diskettes on PCE MS-DOS 3.3 configuration yields this result:

Mistakenly left WRITE PROTECT on:

ZV69b3u.png

With WRITE PROTECT off:

fFDjCHZ.png

The game may then be run on the Hard Drive without the need of 360K DISK 1.

As well, the 360K DISK 1 may still be run on any system even if installed to other Hard Drive.

In the case of DISK 2 360K (EGA) the copy protection on Track 39/0/1, it is only used for launching the EGA version direct from disk and is not be modified by install process.

The original 360K DISK 1 (v1.0) is modified upon ejection:

l6MkKti.png

Attempt to install 360K DISK 1 once installed on fresh PCE Hard Drive:

Files are yet still installed to Hard Drive, but no signature this time. Game can not be launched from this Hard Disk.

n5G45JM.png

Uninstaller procedure of signature back to floppy disk:

kXtNWOm.png

Attempt to run uninstall from fresh Hard Drive:

yLXJnlw.png

Using signature from saved Hard Drive many times over to original 360K DISK 1. Would anyone care for Test Drive 1 with 13 install grants?

VwfRMcJ.png

However, one must wonder why untouched version of 360K DISK 1 v1.0 might show modified Track 39/0. Perhaps mother disk install/uninstall was performed/tested and then mass duplicated after. I do find interesting how Track 39/0 matches exactly 360K DISK 1 that is known to have install/uninstall performed.

kmHud0m.png

Examination of untouched 720K v1.0 DISK shows different on Track 39/0:

Rh9leLw.png

Comments

• Very interesting.

I also figured out that Track 39/1/45 (256 bytes) is modified after installation.

IMYvqUt.png

ItEXRHZ.png

*Before installation
    tVlEHPG.png

*After installation
    fiCXNow.png
  • Yes, I see this is now where the installer count is stored.

Here is sector with 12 installs remaining:

eKc5ysS.png
  • elgibbons wrote:
    However, one must wonder why untouched version of 360K DISK 1 v1.0 might show modified Track 39/0. Perhaps mother disk install/uninstall was performed/tested and then mass duplicated after.
    It shows up "modified" because Kryoflux' method of detecting modified sectors is simple. The protection uses overlapping sectors, meaning that sector 39/0/241 starts inside sector 39/0/6, and sector 39/0/222 starts inside sector 39/0/7. Kryoflux falsely interprets this as a write splice.

Kryoflux' "modified" detection is generally informative, but should not be blindly relied upon.
  • The protection uses overlapping sectors, meaning that sector 39/0/241 starts inside sector 39/0/6, and sector 39/0/222 starts inside sector 39/0/7. Kryoflux falsely interprets this as a write splice.

I see now, thank you for explanation. I also wonder if there is a way to tell the difference between untouched disk and disk that has had install/uninstall performed. At first glance I am unable to find a difference, but may have overlooked it.