PowerPC

edited December 2016 in Video Games
What are the best PowerPC games? Where can I get them?

I've got a PowerMac G5 and a PowerBook G4, both with very nice specs, so anything goes.

PowerBook G4:
PowerPC G4 7450e 1.67GHz
1GB DDR RAM
ATi Mobility Radeon 9700 128MB
100GB ATA Hard disk
Mac OS X 10.5.8 Leopard

PowerMac G5
PowerPC G5 2GHz (x2)
2GB DDR RAM
nVidia GeForce FX5200 (AGP Pro)
160GB Maxtor SATA hard disk
Mac OS X 10.4.11 Tiger

What are my options? I've got newer computers, but I like the look and feel of these older systems better.

Comments

• If you can run 9 on your PowerBook G4, do so. If you can't do that, you can downgrade to Tiger and use Classic to run classic Mac OS games in - there's a lot!

For native PPC OS X games, pretty much anything 2001-2006 should be; classics like Halo and Diablo 2.
  • EDIT Sorry, posted in the wrong thread.
  • You cannot run Mac OS 9 on your Powerbook G4, unless you get a patched version that boots also on PowerMac G4 MD FW800.

I would run Leopard on both of them, and you will have Rosetta, PPC emulation

Both machines will run in classic mode, but only with Tiger.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosetta_(software)

You can also run old DOS software in VirtualBox, and very old Mac software in vMac.

• @ForOldHack said:
    I would run Leopard on both of them, and you will have Rosetta, PPC emulation

You can also run old DOS software in VirtualBox, and very old Mac software in vMac.

Rosetta applies to Intel Macs only, PowerPC Macs will run PowerPC software natively (duh), so even if you're running Leopard, Rosetta doesn't really apply on those machines.

Also, (IIRC) VirtualBox is for Intel Macs only, there has never been a PowerPC port even in its early days. If you want to run DOS/Windows software on a PowerPC Mac, you need the Mac version of Virtual PC (you can download it on this site).

• For Mac OS X, I can easily think of a few: Doom 3, Quake 4, Dungeon Siege, Star Wars: Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast, Civilization III, and Return to Castle Wolfenstein

If you could get Classic working here are few other good ones: Ultima I-IV, Descent I-III, Deus Ex, Doom, Quake, SimCity, System Shock, and Wing Commander I-IV

• Macintosh Repository has some stuff for PowerPC and archive.org has plenty of PPC stuff too.