Cool games for Win98

edited March 2017 in Video Games
Hey, i am asking for some cool games to run on my Celeron 466 Win98 machine. Could you give some titles and/or download links? :P

Comments

• Galactic Battle is a fun game and was the first game I ever played. The website has other cool games that might interest you.
    http://www.myabandonware.com/game/galac ... n#download
  • Galactic Battle is a fun game and was the first game I ever played. The website has other cool games that might interest you.
    http://www.myabandonware.com/game/galac ... n#download

Is it just me or is that really like a re themed asteroids?
  • ^^^^ Thanks for reply! Gotta check this out :D
  • Westwood Monopoly. I hope that's "cool" enough.
  • http://www.cncnz.com/features/freeware- ... uer-games/

(only Tiberian Sun will need a manual registry addition, included in the zip but points to a specific file. Tell me if you need assistance with it)
  • again, thanks for reply but there may be a problem with installing Tiberian Sun because I only have CD-ROM in the machine and no USB ports -_- I will do something tho, maybe insert the hard disk in my modern machine and put the game right on it?
  • Do you have networking? You could set up a file share (98 doesn't do NTLMv2 without patches, so set it up with anonymous access and purposely use a non-existent user) and slurp the files that way.

Worst case, you can burn files to discs and copy them that way...
  • budyn2002 wrote:
    again, thanks for reply but there may be a problem with installing Tiberian Sun because I only have CD-ROM in the machine and no USB ports -_- I will do something tho, maybe insert the hard disk in my modern machine and put the game right on it?
    This Tiberian Sun distribution is not CD/ISO-based. It is a direct rip of files from The First Decade version (before anyone asks, yes, it's legal, EA released that exact file in February 2010 for free).
  • StarCraft,m8.
  • You might be interested in this other thread: viewtopic.php?f=36&t=8641
  • Diablo II-Lord of Destruction. I'm surprised no one's mentioned this one yet.
  • Here are a few of my favourite 95/98 era games:

POD (Planet of Death) - Futuristic racing game with a ton of intricate courses and absolutely state of the art graphics for the time (1997).

Theme Hospital - comedy sim set in a hospital with some very black slapstick humor; also very addictive gameplay.

Championship Manager 99/00 - once you've played CM it's impossible to take other football management sims seriously; insanely addictive; you may want to go for the more iconic CM3 but 99/00 is my personal favourite.

Need for Speed 3: Hot Pursuit - great driving game with police chases thrown in for good measure; also a great nostalgic throwback to a time when Electronic Arts actually made video games.

Screamer - shameless cash-in on the Ridge Racer boom but definitely captures the feel of RR and even gives us a bit extra.
  • 伊藤诚 wrote:
    StarCraft,m8.
    IforgotTheAge of Empires1&ROR,Ultima Ⅳ,C&C:Red alert
  • Civilisation (Was actually made for MS-DOS but that doesn't matter) and Civilisation II (1996)

Both fun, time killing games that will probably take hours out of your day.
  • BigCJ wrote:
    Diablo II-Lord of Destruction. I'm surprised no one's mentioned this one yet.
    Indeed. Don't know why I didn't even think of it even though I mentioned Diablo ("1").

There's also Half-Life, Blue Shift and Opposing Force.

And I remember games such as "Vyruz: Destruction of the Untel Empire" or "Gruntz", which all ran (or at least their playable demos did) on the machine my father had bought back then in late 1998.
  • If you like Diablo, try the Hellfire expansion. I don't remember seeing Diablo I on this list.
  • It's on the one I linked to there : viewtopic.php?p=143985#p143985 though ;)
  • Championship Manager 99/00 - once you've played CM it's impossible to take other football management sims seriously; insanely addictive; you may want to go for the more iconic CM3 but 99/00 is my personal favourite.

Championship Manager Season 2001/02 is a better option, as it gives the most league choices, doesn't have database gaps like some of its predecessors, and was made freeware by Eidos in 2009 as it was the final and most popular CM3 derivative. It still has a community to this day, so you can download modern-day rosters and pretend it's the latest thing :mrgreen:
  • Championship Manager Season 2001/02 is a better option, as it gives the most league choices, doesn't have database gaps like some of its predecessors, and was made freeware by Eidos in 2009 as it was the final and most popular CM3 derivative. It still has a community to this day, so you can download modern-day rosters and pretend it's the latest thing :mrgreen:

I didn't recommend 01/02 as I wasn't sure how it would fare on Windows 98. 01/02 has certain optimisations for XP like middle wheel mouse support and, while it would probably run on 98, I don't know if it would run at its absolute best which is why I recommended the CM games that were designed for Windows 98.
  • It was released on 12 October 2001, before many people could even see Windows XP in anything other than screenshots, so you bet it runs on Windows 98. Also, check the minimum specs on the back cover.