[REQUEST] IBM Aptiva Recovery Disc

edited August 2017 in Offers & Requests
As some folk are either requesting or offering recovery discs for a certain computer/laptop, I may want to do the same where, I am curious if anybody could offer one for the IBM Aptive line of computers, in which that model was the first one I ever used. While it was obviously used to reformat the system like what had to be done for my very old computer whenever it broke down or suffered an irrevocable graphics problem, it did contain some neat stuff like IBM's own selection of simple and interesting screensavers like, the once-famous "Eye Bee M" one and also its own wallpapers too, bearing its logo. I think it had some of its own software too... I can remember off by heart.

If anyone happens to have it lying about, then that's good. Either upload it here or in the library, whichever floats your boat :)

Comments

• https://archive.org/download/BetaArchive_PC_OS_Recovery_Archive/PC%20OS%20Recovery%20Kits/pre-2006/

Try this page, perhaps the IBM Activa disk you are looking for is the one contained there.

Cheers.
  • I checked, and their are plenty of IBM Aptiva Recovery Discs in there.
  • Thanks for that but, I don't really know what to do with the MDF file the main RAR archive of it contained. Is that meant to be the ISO of some sort? And how can it be used?
  • Bry89 wrote:
    I don't really know what to do with the MDF file the main RAR archive of it contained. Is that meant to be the ISO of some sort? And how can it be used?
    The MDF file is an Alcohol 120% disc image file, there's a free tool that can convert it to ISO if that's what you intend on doing (first result on googling "mdf to iso"), if you want to burn it onto a CD-R you might be able to do so by using IMGburn (there's a copy of it on this site's library).
  • I used a program that was called "MDF to ISO" but when I tried to make the conversion, I get this nice little error:
    "Failed to open that MDF file, unknown format or damaged"

What now? Should I use something else? :\
  • Just use Alcohol 120% or Daemon Tools to directly write it to disk. MDF to ISO tools may not work.

P.S. The MDF you are using originated from BetaArchive (look at the url provided by cmarquez). They also provide a link to a portable version of Alcohol 120%: https://www.betaarchive.com/files/A120FE_9902_PE.zip
  • Whoa. I didn't know there was a portable version of Alcohol 120%. Cool! I'm gonna save that for later. :D
  • In my case, I use UltraISO to handle all Compact Disc file formats. Quite a small and nifty tool.

If you have problems with Alcohol 120%, try that one. If you still have issues, let me know and I'll get you converted to an ISO file.
  • Probably best if you helped me out on this one... already got frustrated over this today.

I forgot to mention, the MDF comes with an MDS file also. Is that needed by the way?
  • Bry89 wrote:
    Probably best if you helped me out on this one... already got frustrated over this today.

I forgot to mention, the MDF comes with an MDS file also. Is that needed by the way?

Yes, it is the descriptor for how the disc is presented.

Tell me which file you want and I'll get you an ISO uploaded.
  • It's two actually...
    • IBM Aptiva Recovery CD - dated 1997-4-21
    • and IBM Aptiva Multimedia Exploration CD - dated 1995-3-29

I hope that isn't too much bother for you, but I thank you for helping out anyway :)
  • Bry89 wrote:
    It's two actually...
    • IBM Aptiva Recovery CD - dated 1997-4-21
    • and IBM Aptiva Multimedia Exploration CD - dated 1995-3-29

I hope that isn't too much bother for you, but I thank you for helping out anyway :)
    Not at all, it's my pleasure in helping out.

I'll let you know when both ISOs are ready for download.
  • They're all working fine :) However... the recovery CD is not the same as the one I had as when I booted with it, it mentioned that it was intended for Windows 95 and then reported an "Incorrect BIOS version" afterwards. That's where I used it on a Win98 SE VM and the Recovery CD that I had for my IBM computer at the time was made for that, either from 1998 or 1999. Don't know which.

Not sure if you or someone else would happen to have that one. On the plus side though, the Multimedia Exploration CD was interesting though ;)