[OFFER] "The Amazing Writing Machine" by Broderbund Software

edited March 2017 in Offers & Requests
I believe this is one of those word processors for kids, and I'm pretty sure it's meant to make writing one of 5 types of documents a fun experience.
More info can be found here.

I do have a copy of this program, but it's the CD only and it's a badly scratched one at that. The disc has a copyright date of 1995. I got the disc along with 4 other software discs

Previously, when i attempted to make an ISO of the disc, I couldn't, but I may try again. I was able to access the files, for both the Mac and Windows versions, and managed to install the latter version in my DOSBox emulator with Windows 3.1. It does load but I haven't attempted to actually use it. I do not have a Mac running any version of "classic" Mac OS (my only Mac runs 10.6.8 ), and the oldest PC I have runs Windows 95 OSR/2. Since it does still install, I do still have a chance of just copying the contents of both Windows and Mac OS sides of the disc into folders even if I can't make an ISO of it.

From the link above, it requires Mac OS 7.0, or Windows 95, but I know that it can run on Windows 3.1 because I tried it myself. I can provide screenshots if you want.

(Forgot to mention: I do have 4 other CD-ROM discs from the same lot, they are "A Bear Family Adventure" and "Pop-Up Greetings" both by Kidsoft, and a couple of "Sabrina" games by Knowledge Adventure. Not sure if anyone wants me to upload those, but those are also all badly-scratched CD-only copies)

Comments

• Sometimes it is possible to temporarily work around scratches by cleaning the disk with isopropyl alcohol and then applying Pledge furniture polish or similar. Only clean/apply with a soft cloth as paper products can further scratch plastic.

If the reflective silver stuff has flaked off of the label side, a paint pen might help.

If you can't get a proper ISO, then some of the files will be corrupt anyway and probably would not be of much use.

On a Win/Mac hybrid CD, the resulting ISO will contain both the Windows and Mac data although most extraction tools will only show you the Windows data files.
  • SomeGuy wrote:
    Sometimes it is possible to temporarily work around scratches by cleaning the disk with isopropyl alcohol and then applying Pledge furniture polish or similar. Only clean/apply with a soft cloth as paper products can further scratch plastic.

If the reflective silver stuff has flaked off of the label side, a paint pen might help.

If you can't get a proper ISO, then some of the files will be corrupt anyway and probably would not be of much use.

On a Win/Mac hybrid CD, the resulting ISO will contain both the Windows and Mac data although most extraction tools will only show you the Windows data files.

Thanks for the advice!
  • Anyways, I wasn't able to make images of the 2 Kidsoft titles I have, but I did make an image of the software I mentioned in the title of this thread, and am ready to upload it.

Edit: While I have been downloading from the WW library for a while, I'm new as a registered user here and feel like waiting for a "go" signal or something from an admin before I upload it.

I currently don't have plans to make images of the 2 KA games I have.