[REQUEST] Windows CE 1.0 + Emulator

edited February 2017 in Offers & Requests
Trying to look for one but can't find one. Please help!

Comments

• You could try QEMU, maybe it can emulate the ARM processor, as I know it can emulate AMD/Pentium/486/PPC?/etc.
  • eli573 wrote:
    You could try QEMU, maybe it can emulate the ARM processor, as I know it can emulate AMD/Pentium/486/PPC?/etc.
    Would it also work for early versions of IOS?
  • Research before replying, people.

QEMU has an ARM emulator. It is a *CPU* emulator, and is paired with some kind of BIOS or firmware depending on architecture and situation. Right now the default for this is baseline functionality to initialize virtual hardware and bootstrap a Linux kernel and initrd (U-Boot or an offshoot maybe? I'm not exactly sure on the implementation details). This is used by the Android SDK on Windows/OSX to provide the simulator for app testing. This is certainly not enough to boot anything outside of a Linux kernel, including iOS/Mach or a Windows CE kernel.

I don't know what would be needed to boot those two on qemu-arm. Is it possible? Sure, if someone with the proper knowledge and coding skills spent several days/weeks working on the required firmware bits to bridge the two.

The Windows CE/mobile emulators shipped with Visual Studio were built off of Virtual PC. I believe those images were X86 as CE was available in x86. AFAIK no 1.0 emulator really exists, but I could be wrong. Building an image for VPC or the variant shipped with VS would probably be a good starting point.
  • MemeOS wrote:
    eli573 wrote:
    You could try QEMU, maybe it can emulate the ARM processor, as I know it can emulate AMD/Pentium/486/PPC?/etc.
    Would it also work for early versions of IOS?

Short version: No.
    Longer version:
    No. iOS is not open source and needs a bootloader. Perhaps if you could find a ROM that supports iOS then it *may* be possible (Don't get your hopes to high, though, how are you gonna boot without the Darwin files and even if you do manage to get them, iOS is for iDevices only and does not support QEMU (and no compiles, iOS is closed source))
    Just use the Xcode emulator