laplink for DOS

edited August 2017 in Software
So,

I have a vm running MS-DOS 6.22 using my modern pc's serial port, conected to the packard bell via a serial-null modem cable.

Both the VM and the physial machine are running laplink for DOS 3.0, the vm is using COM1 and the physical machine is using COM1 as well, because I have the serial cable connected to COM1 on it.

On my physical modern machine running the VM the serial to USB adapter is COM3 but I think the VM would see it as COM1.

Anyways, the systems don't connect.

EDIT: After a little fooling around. I've gotten it to work.

Now I just need to figure out how to get a shared folder between a DOS VM and my physical machine.

P.S: Laplink 3.0 being able to fit on a 360k 5.25 Floppy, is awesome!

Comments

• Once you get Laplink to communicate, it is pretty easy to use.
    When connected, you will have two windows, one for each PC directory selected.
    Just highlight the files to be copied and the direction to copy.

I use Laplink Pro 4.0 on all my Dos PCs because I don't want the overhead of network ethernet.
    One benefit of Laplink is it is only connected when you need it. No overhead.
    For Dos and W3x programs, the serial transfer rate is adequate. Hi-Speed Serial cards are available to boost xfer rate.
    I mainly transfer files with floppies and use Laplink for large transfers.

I laplink files to my W98 PC (NW connected and Laplink in Dos) if I have to transfer files to the network.
  • i got laplink 3.0 running on vm and on my 286, however I keep getting timeout errors when actually trying to copy something.
  • Are you able to see the files on the 286 from the VM?
    i.e. From VM
    Files in left window - VM files
    Files in right window - 286 files
    Can you view the files and directories on the 286 from the right window in the VM?
  • I figured out the problem, my usb to serial adapter doesnt work right, works great when I connect directly to another serial port, though.