Deltree?

edited August 2017 in Software
So I need to delete a large directory tree, but even though I am running MS-DOS 5, apparently I do not have deltree.

I heard it first came with 5...

anyways, is there something I am missing just doing deltree /y c:\geoworks ?

Or is there a third party program I can install to do it for me?

Comments

• DELTREE is available on MSDos v6.0 and up.

Why are you deleting GeoWorks? Did you try it?
  • altracker9 wrote:
    DELTREE is available on MSDos v6.0 and up.

Why are you deleting GeoWorks? Did you try it?

yes and it obviously installed with errors, because I keep getting errors while using it. Not suprising consider the multiple times I had to try copying from disks.
  • Too bad. GeoWorks is a quality program that works on systems with limited resources. At the time, it put windows too shame.
    Microsoft put pressure on OEMs so they could not preinstall GeoWorks instead of Windows.
  • altracker9 wrote:
    Too bad. GeoWorks is a quality program that works on systems with limited resources. At the time, it put windows too shame.
    Microsoft put pressure on OEMs so they could not preinstall GeoWorks instead of Windows.

I'll try to reinstall it with 3.5 disks, hopefully that fixes things.
  • The DELTREE and MOVE program files can be copied from DOS 6.x and run under DOS 5.0. Those two will not complain about the DOS version.

It does sound like you have some disk errors. Sadly just because the disks were "new in box" does not mean that they were flawless. You have no idea how they may have been stored. Double check for bad sectors after formatting, perhaps try re-formatting them a couple of times. Keeping a cleaning disk handy is a good idea when dealing with disks from unknown sources.

Being 1.2mb disks they could be suffering from just a bit of airborne "residue". I had some NIB 1.2mb disks recently that had that issue. The bizarre thing about this issue is after doing several unconditional formats, the "residue" disappears and the disks worked perfectly. - The complete opposite of what you would normally expect.
  • the disks work great in the 98 machine, both windows and winimage format them fine.

I am now having trouble reading them on the pack-mate.

Probably an issue with the drive.
  • So actually, I reinstalled it, and as I said the disks work no problem on the 98 machine, I had to reformatted them with the images, I got a couple copy and decompression errors again, but this time when the install was finished, it is running flawlessly and I am no longer getting the error messages, that I was getting before, and am also not getting the graphical glitch when I start the beginner workspace either.

So, I think the problem is the drive, probably needs heads cleaned.

PS.: GeoWorks 1.2 is definitely much faster and just as graphical (if not more) than Windows 3.0!
  • Deltree from windows 6 or 9x runs quite nicely under dos 5. So does choice and move.