how do i set up a domain file server in windows 2000 server

edited August 2017 in Software
I am trying to set up a domain file server so some friends and i can share programs and software from our own homes by uploading files and or programs to the server. is this even possible

Comments

• Why would you want to set up an online-facing FTP server with Windows 2000? Win2K is outdated and prone to viruses.
  • the reason i use windows 2000 is because i have 1 gigabyte of ram and a pentuim 4 with no hyper threading
  • Try using at least Windows Server 2008 R2 if you REALLY need a server operating system, but regular consumer versions of Windows already have ftp file sharing abilities anyway, so you could just use your own computer for the purpose you stated.
  • You should use Windows 7 with the Classic theme if you want more free RAM and a modern OS.
  • Is your Pentium 4 32 or 64-bit? I am asking because some Pentium 4's are 64-bit and can run 64-bit windows. Since the last x86-32 version of windows server was server 2008 (non-r2), it's very important to know.
    Download Link (Server 2008 non-R2) x86 and x64:
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=5023
    Download Link (Server 2008 R2 X64):
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=11093
  • Consider Linux or another such OS on such HW.
  • ampharos wrote:
    Consider Linux or another such OS on such HW.

Right. But I think the OP wanted to use Windows and not anything else.
  • For the stated purpose and the stated hardware, my recommendation would be a Linux system and something like OwnCloud / nextCloud. It's not terribly difficult to set up (lots of tutorials out there) and way nicer to use from a end user perspective.
  • Domain file server? So do you want an FTP server or just SMB sharing that you have to use VPN to connect to? If the former: install IIS and use the built-in FTP software. If the latter, you will have to set up a shared folder, then install Routing and Remote Access (VPN server) to dial-in from other places. You'll also have to set up port forwarding on your router, regardless of which option you go with.