Making/Installing a Virtual Machine on VirtualBox (Win 2k)

edited September 2017 in Software
Intro:

This is a tutorial on how to install Windows 2000 to Virtual Box. I have seen tutorials posted on VM Ware but not one on Virtual Box yet. In this tutorial I will be using Virtual Box 5.1.26. If you want I will post more tutorials with different operating systems, please leave your feedback in the comments below.

If you Don't Have Virtual Box:

If you do not currently have Virtual Box it can be downloaded from: https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads and installation is quite simple, just follow the onscreen instructions.

Making the Virtual Machine:

To start out we will create our new virtual machine by clicking the "New" button in the top left of the Virtual Box window. In the "Name" section type whatever you want but I recommend something like "Windows 2000", "Windows 2k". In the first drop down select "Microsoft Windows" and in the second "Windows 2000". Once completed click next. Chose the amount of RAM you want to dedicate to the virtual machine, I am using the default "168 MB". Now click "Create a virtual hard disk now" and then "Create". Now click the "VDI" option. Click "Dynamically allocated" then next. I will be saving my virtual hard disk to a USB flash drive with 16gb and using the default size of "4gb". Do note: If make the size to high and save it on your computer it will take up a fair amount of memory.

6akLIlx.jpg

Virtual CD:

Now you may think we are done and you can just start the machine and have Windows 2000 but Windows 2000 is not installed yet. We need to make a virtual CD the virtual machine will boot off of. To do this click the "Settings" button at the top left of the screen. Then click on "Storage", and then the CD. We now need to download the Windows 2000 iso. I will be using the Windows 2000 Professional iso available on Win World here: https://winworldpc.com/download/4136388D-18DA-11E4-99E5-7054D21A8599. The product key for this iso is: RBDC9-VTRC8-D7972-J97JY-PRVMG. If you want to use your own iso that is fine installation is still the same but the product key above may not work.

bqEEa8v.jpg

Once the iso is downloaded. Click the small CD next to the drop down box under "Attributes". Click "Chose Virtual Optical Disk File" Select the Windows 2000 iso and click "Open". Once you have selected your Windows 2000 iso we can now start the virtual machine.

Installing Windows 2000:

We are now ready to start the new virtual machine. Click the "Ok" option in the settings menu if you haven't already and click "Start" in the top left. A new window will appear. After it loads it will ask if you want to boot from the hard drive of CD ROM. Chose the CD ROM. If you do not see any boot options and if it does not automatically boot to Windows 2000 setup check your iso or re download it.

X3B5MMW.png

Press enter. Press "C" to move on". Do Note: Windows 2000 is talking about the virtual hard drive file you made at the begging of this tutorial, please do not think it will erase your hard drive. Press F8 to agree to the license, you may need to do FN > F8. Press enter again. Select whatever you want here but I recommend using the NTFS file system.

DDeNyJA.png

Now wait until setup finishes formatting and copying files to the virtual hard drive. Press enter to reboot. Let the computer boot from the hard drive. Now you have started the graphical part of setup!

cEJqNwx.png

Yrhd3jg.png

To use the mouse you may need to click the virtual machine's display or just move your mouse into it, it depends on your settings. The first screen you will see is a welcome one, just click next. The next one is what is shown above wait until it has finished. This screen may take some time, while everything else is probably going twice as fast as it would on normal hardware. When it is done click next (you may change the settings if you want). Type in your name and company (this is required).

cXZ4Bgy.png

Now its time for our best friend! The product key! If you used the iso I provided the key is again: RBDC9-VTRC8-D7972-J97JY-PRVMG. If not I can't help you there. Enter your product key and click next.

jm3v3dY.png

Enter a name for the computer and a admin password if you want. I leave mine at the default. Change your time settings if you want and click next. Setup will then install network components. On the next screen please chose typical if you want to be able to connect to the internet. Chose no on the next screen and click "Next". Setup will then install components. Then it will start to install items such as the start menu items and the control panel. Once this is done the computer will restart. It will ask you for a password but just press enter if you did not set on up (this is referring to the admin password we had the option to make before). And thats it! Windows 2000 is now installed to Virtual Box! Before you go you do want to remove the virtual CD, by clicking "Devices" in the top left and then "Optical Drives" and lastly "Remove disk from virtual drive".

aPh3miq.png

Thank you for reading this, and again to those of you who viewed this before I was finished I am sorry I accidentally pressed "Submit" instead of preview. Hope this helped! :D

Comments

• @SomeGuy I don't think the OP is finished with his/her guide yet.

And a good formula (from my experience) for the guest RAM size for somewhat modern OSes (i.e Windows 2000 and newer) would be 1/4 of your host system's RAM. My Mac has 8GB RAM, so my Windows 10 VM is set up to use 2GB and my Windows 2000 VM is set up to use 2GB. (Windows 2000 literally FLIES with 2GB RAM!)

@OP Your tinypic picture is not working. Please fix it.
  • Very sorry I accidentally posted this when I was trying to click preview, I am editing it now to finish it, should be done b sometime today! :D
  • Ok, removed my comment. Although I have installed so many copies of Windows it all seems dead simple to me.

We do appreciate helpful tutorials for those who have not had such experience.
  • SomeGuy wrote:
    Ok, removed my comment. Although I have installed so many copies of Windows it all seems dead simple to me.

We do appreciate helpful tutorials for those who have not had such experience.

I find it pretty straight forward too, but this tutorial is for more of beginners in making virtual machines. You could also use it if you get stuck while trying to do it. Really the hard thing is trying to install an older OS (like Windows 2000) to actual hardware. Because, your system may not support the OS and if it does and you do get it installed after 10,000 errors, you then have to deal with drivers. This is why Virtual Box asks what OS you are going to be running, so it can load it to a machine with recommended settings and hardware that the OS understands so you don't have to mess around with drivers. So because of this you can connect to the internet right after you install the OS. Now you may want to update some drivers because for Win98, Win95, and WinME there is a patch to get 32 bit color. Sadly I have not found one for Windows 2000 yet, but if I do I will make sure to post it here.
  • I have now made a post on how to get a higher screen resolution and 32bit color in Windows 2000 on Virtual Box here: https://winworldpc.com/winboards/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=9815.