Windows 95a (RTM)

edited August 2017 in Software
I have Windows 95a (RTM) on Floppies,

When I was trying to install it, on my Solar system today, because I figured a PnP OS would solve my sound card problem. it said it couldn't be setup because of an error formatting my hard drive.

Then I tried installing Windows 98, and it installed successfully, it even installed the drivers for my video and sound cards....

Then I formatted and tried it again, and still windows 95 setup gave me the same error.

Considering it has a celeron and 192mb of RAM, I am installing Windows 98 on it, but still what could cause type of error?

I heard windows 95 can do up to 32GB and my HDD is 8GB.

I opened my new/sealed copy of Windows 95 upgrade, though it didn't solve the sound card problem, as it kept ms-dos 6.22 and kept the old drivers and configuration manager, even when I ran setup form in Windows 95. My boxed copy's seal was broken for no reason, but at least I was careful with it, and it's in pristine condition, still.

Comments

• Windows 95A, AKA Service Pack 1, was a downloadable upgrade that was also integrated into OEM install disks. Win95B and Win95C support 32Gb, Win95 Gold and Win95A only support 2Gb. This is because FAT32 support wasn't included until OSR2 (Win95B).

Reinstall Win98. It crashes less and supports many more programs.
  • Also don't forget to install 98lite if you're like me and don't like the Windows 98 'webby' explorer shell. See http://toastytech.com/guis/98lite2.html for more info.
  • damn, even 98 doesn't fix this PnP sound card problem.

I guess it is the damn PnP bios.
  • If you think its a problem with PnP in Bios, then disable it.
    Usually you can go into Bios advanced settings and set the IRQs manually.
    Of course, you would need to know the IRQ settings for your cards.
  • Maybe you could check the manufacturer website for a BIOS update?
  • Try Windows ME, you don't have to worry about PnP bios problems, because you'll be greeted by a lovely BSoD.