LHA self-extracting

edited July 2017 in Software
I found drivers for my NIC on Vogons, all the way from DOS through Windows XP, which should suit me good.

They are transferred in the format of two self-extracting LHA files. However, on Windows 7 when I click on them to get them to extract within the folder I created, I get an error message saying that the program cannot run and to check it if i need a 32bit or 64bit version of the program.

I guess I'll try it on my WFW3.11 machine tomorrow. But would I be correct in assuming it should still self-extract even in Windows 7?

http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=914

Comments

• If you are using a 64-bit version of Windows 7, it doesn't have the NT Virtual DOS Machine (NTVDM) and therefore can't run the 16-bit SFX EXE.

You can open it in 7-zip and extract the files that way.
  • No.

Remember that legacy application compatibility fell with vista. 7 was no better. By the looks of it, the program could be 16 bit(64 bit has no vdm) or rely on functions 7 does not provide.
    It could work on 32 bit install if it's just 16 bit.
  • Usually, you can open self extracting files in an archive manager such as 7-zip, WinZip, or WinRar and manually extract the files. That way it doesn't matter what platform you are on.

Self extracting archives were always a dumb idea, because they were always plaform specific.

The 32-bit versions of Windows Visita, 7, 8, 10 can natively execute DOS and Windows 3.1 self extractors. Otherwise you would need to use DOSBox or some other emulator.
  • No.

Remember that legacy application compatibility fell with vista. 7 was no better. By the looks of it, the program could be 16 bit(64 bit has no vdm) or rely on functions 7 does not provide.
    It could work on 32 bit install if it's just 16 bit.

If I recall correctly, XP 64 bit also dropped 16-bit support.
  • >Someguy
    7zip does not support LHA archives, self-extracting or not.

>BlueSun
    All 64-bit windows, including itanium, lack ntvdm.
    So yeah, Xp64/Server 2003 don't support 16 bit.