FTP server between Windows 7 and WFW 3.11

edited August 2017 in Software
I am thinking that if I do manage to get WFW 3.11 and my NIC installed correctly and get my solar machine connected to my network/internet, I could just make an FTP server, and so I can upload files to it form my mac mini, and download files from it on the solar (or vice versa).

I don't think there should be any problem with this, as long as I make sure all files are within the 8.3 naming convention, of course.

Could there be an potential issues with this, or should I be good?

Comments

• As long as you have an ftp server on your mac and a ftp client on your Windows 3.1 there should be no potential issues. Other than the fact that you will have a bottle neck since I would think that your Windows 3.1 NIC card would only go up to 10mb/s. But other than that, you good for launch!
  • FTP is an awful no good protocol. IMHO, just set up SMB. Connecting to newer Windows servers can be difficult for old clients, so set up sharing on the older machine and plop the files from your newer computer. (Samba works well for hosting files for old computers as well.)

Samba and modern Windows will automatically mangle for the appropriate 8.3 names.
  • I agree with ampharos, FTP is not very good. Plus, I wasn't able to find any easy-to-use FTP clients for Windows 3.1, although the extent of my search was the TCP/IP package for 3.1 and the included FTP client, which was command-line driven.

Definitely use Samba, especially since you're using Windows for Workgroups. Some tips along the way:
      You might need to tweak the network settings on modern Windows, like not using Homegroup, older encryption etc. I assume you don't have any Active Directory domains, so make sure you use the same user name and password as you use for logging on to your modern PC. Also, when you're sharing a folder, go to the Security tab as well as the Sharing tab. I completely neglected the Security tab and it kept refusing connections.
  • edited July 2017
    Don't use SMB1 on your modern systems unless you want to leave them vulnerable to WannaCrypt and such. Just sayin' ;)

EDIT: This only applies if your modern system is directly facing the internet. If you have your systems in a protected LAN, please disregard this post.
  • Erito17, please don't spread FUD about security issues. On a small private firewalled Ethernet LAN, enabling legacy protocols will not magically let in the hacker boogie man.

The bigger risk on modern machines is that Microsoft might pull the plug on the protocols availability.

As suggested above, either a small NAS, "tweener" computer, or a VM can be less configuration hassle in the long run. And depending on what you use, it may offer the additional flexibility of adding additional sharing protocols such as Apple Filing Protocol.
  • Sorry... I meant to say that you shouldn't enable SMB 1 on your modern systems if they are directly facing the internet. My bad for not being clear there. :(
  • majkl98se wrote:
    I wasn't able to find any easy-to-use FTP clients for Windows 3.1
    If you haven't yet, try Total Commander 6.58. I'd call it very user friendly.