3.1 to WFW 2.11 Upgrade

edited July 2017 in Software
Currently on my latest "solar" machine (named so because it has a sticker saying 'Solar microsystems' on the front) I am running Windows 3.1.

I did have WFW3.11 on it for a couple hours but it seemed to clash with my video drivers since I had to start and restart Windows before mpeg and avi files would play and I wouldn't get error messages.

I remember back on my 486 machine with 3.1, I didn't have any issues with it, so I reverted to 3.1. However, I am now having the same problems, so I think it has more to do with the sound card since I am already having issues with that, and not the operating system.

The NIC it origionally came with does have WFW3.11 drivers so if I have WFW3.11 on it, I can get on the internet, which'd give me another way to get files onto it, and even make floppies for itself (since it has win image for 3.1).

Noting this, it seems I have a good reason to upgrade to WFW3.11 and no reason to NOT do it.

However, when I tried upgrading to WFW3.11 the first time with the upgrade version, it gave me some problem with the video drivers as it said the drivers need 386 enhanced mode to run, and I was always running in 386 enhanced mode, seeing as this machine has a celeron and as such is more than capable, and I am not able to complete the upgrade. So, the only way I could upgrade is to format the hard drive and reinstall 6.22 and then Install WFW3.11, which is okay considering I only have games, drivers, and win image installed, no important or sensitive data, just would be really annoying to have to do a full re-installation.

However, it seems I have no way out of a full re-install, unless someone here knows what could be causing the ATI video driver issue when using the upgrade version of WFW3.11 (which was downloaded from this here library).

Comments

• "DELTREE C:\WINDOWS" and then try the "Full" installer set for WFW3.11.
  • The Acer Acros should be fixed soon and with a 75mhz pentium and a quad speed cd-rom drive made in april of 1995 before the release of Windows 95, it'd be a much more period appropriate machine, however it doesn't have a "5.25 inchd rive.

I could always just take it out of this machine and put it in there, but I don't know if it has a spare floppy IDE connector or not, or if a "5.25 inch drive connects with standard IDE.

That'd probably solve my sound card issue, as it hopefully doesn't have a PnP BIOS.
  • The floppy drive is not IDE. It has its own FDD connector.
    The FDD connector on the motherboard supports (2) floppies in any combination.
    However, you would need a cable with both 3.5 and 5.25 connectors that supports (2) drives.
    You would have to check that the floppies' jumpers are set for the correct drive location (DS1, DS2).
    The 5.25 floppy may also have a terminator, which is only required if put at the end of the cable.
    The 3.5 floppy generally don't have adjustable terminators.
  • Perhaps try reverting to the stock VGA driver from Windows and install the proper driver after the upgrade. I've never upgraded a version of Windows older than 95, so I'm not sure what the procedure is.
  • majkl98se wrote:
    Perhaps try reverting to the stock VGA driver from Windows and install the proper driver after the upgrade. I've never upgraded a version of Windows older than 95, so I'm not sure what the procedure is.

Edit WIN.INI perhaps?