DOOM 1.1 Doesn't like my SB16.

edited July 2017 in Software
I did get the Solar back in today, I installed 3.1, and then my video card and audio card drivers and software.

The BIOS is a PnP BIOS, and it does recognize the sound card.

However the driver disc for it included the configuration manager from creative, as well, which handles the card on a PnP BIOS.

In Windows the card works fine, plays sound, music, even sound from MPEG and AVI files.

However, when I went to setup doom. it worked when I told it to use "Sound Blaster" for music, but when I went to set up the "Sound FX" and I told it all the information, it doesn't seem to work, as I am getting zero sound effects in game.

I told doom the PORT, IRQ, DMA, etc that creative's software says it's on: A220 I5 D1 H1

for the Digital Channel I just said "One" because I don't know how many there are, but when I tried different options there, it doesn't seem to make a difference, either.

I'm stumped, what could be possibly causing DOOM not to play sound effects with my Sound Blaster 16 when it plays music fine with it?

I will add though, that when setting up music it only asked for the port, which I said 220, it didn't ask for IRQ or DMA.

EDIT: When I had DOOM 2 on the 486 machine, it played fine. Maybe 1.1 just doesn't work with a Vibra 16 like I have.

Comments

• Is the BLASTER variable properly set? Try patching to DOOM v1.9.
  • edited July 2017
    BigCJ wrote:
    Is the BLASTER variable properly set? Try patching to DOOM v1.9.

"SET BLASTER=A220 I5 HI P330 T6" is in autoexec.bat

I just installed Duke 3d, and again, it has no problem with music, but won't do sound FX..

Which is weird, this is the same sound card I put in the deskpro and it ran perfectly. Though Windows 98 already included it's own drivers, so it installed them automatically.
  • SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1

This is usually all you need. You forgot the DMA channel. It's usually 1, but your card may be set up differently. Check your jumper settings.
  • D1 is in there, I just forgot to type it here.

I will take a look at the card itself. See if I can find something out.
  • Ok well it has two jumpers, one of them is crucial as if it's not in, there will be no sound output,

the other doesn't seem to matter at all...