What is the point of the Abandonware Ring?

edited July 2017 in Software
I have always kinda pondered this, and maybe it was useful back in the day, but what is or was the point of joining the Abandonware Ring? As well as what was the point of joining the Abandonware Ring back then? Also how come their status for winworld hasn't changed since 3 years ago? Our library has grown twice in size since its last report.

Comments

• I don't know why some of those older sites are there, but that reminds me, I was planning to add some links to vintage related sites like Bitsavers.
  • Well, let's take a step back in the web of yesteryear.

Before search engines were as functional as they were now the web was often organized into various webrings on niche subjects ran by various interested parties. Once Google became a thing not only would they rank your results in the search engine results based on content but also based on the amount of quality links you have; thus entries into webrings provided a healthy boost since it was designed to be a mutual linkback.

I believe the ABW ring specifically requires a link in the signature of the site, although I could be wrong about this. Back in the 90's it was common for a lot of webrings to have embeded HTML to do a back/forward to other sites in the webring. We took out the Abandonware Ring link in the footer a while ago; they haven't removed us from the listings. It's irrelevant for us at this point, as I'm pretty sure our rankings far outweigh what the webring itself ranks, but the links page link is still there I guess for good gesture?
  • I saw AR site.

AR seems to mention that WinWorld has about 2000 apps. (Last updated : 12/15/2014)
    (I guess WW has now more 4000+ apps/os/etc in 2017 except games.)

But AR rated under 3 points about WW.
    Maybe AR seems not to be interested about WW so much.
  • @ibmpc5150
    I all ways wondered about that. Maybe they were looking more into games? Or did some one rub them the wrong way?
    stitch wrote:
    It's irrelevant for us at this point, as I'm pretty sure our rankings far outweigh what the webring itself ranks, but the links page link is still there I guess for good gesture?

I would guess so, for others to who would want to know what else is out there. I remember reading about this in the FAQ of their site:
    Since none of us have unlimited web space to store Abandonware titles...the games are usually rotated.

Was this common practice back then?